Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil and maintenance Hobby Engine Southampton Tug  (Read 1628 times)

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
Oil and maintenance Hobby Engine Southampton Tug
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:12:18 pm »

Hi All

Just a quick question on the best type of oil to use for shaft and motor lubrication. Also I have just bought Hobby Engine Southampton tug and was wondering what the best type of maintenance plan would be for it.

Any information appreciated.
Thanks
Alan
Alan

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oil and maintenance Hobby Engine Southampton Tug
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:51:48 am »

Don't use olive and you'll be fine %)

Grease is a better bet, I use TF2 teflon. Will stay in the shaft, oil will run out.

Your profile says Hertfordshire, whereabouts?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153067851848

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:06:18 pm »

Hi Alan, if you fancy a bit of fun reading, put prop shaft lubrication in the search box. It's a much discussed  and occasionally contentious subject. Broadly speaking, slow reving installations often favour grease, fast reving ones sometimes use oil, the idea being that there is less drag on the shaft. There's plenty of people who would disagree with even that. Me?, I also use Teflon grease, it does the job very well.
  For the motor, only lubricate very occasionally with oil. Too much or too often can lead to the oil ending up on the brushes, spoiling performance.
  As for the rest of the maintainance, most is obvious. Dry out the boat after use, inside as well as out, try to store the model so air can get in. Remove batteries if you are leaving it for any amount of time. Look after electrical connections, they can tarnish and lead to strange or non functionality. Check all wires from time to time, especially if you have any screw connections. If you have any of those little bags of silica gel that you find packed with electrical goods, keep one in the model while it's stored.
  Can't think of anything else, but it was a great question, I recon we've all missed doing these things sometimes, and wondered what is wrong when we go for a sail, I certainly have.
Chas

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:28:22 pm »

Hi Andyn and Chas
Andyn. Thanks for the link. I will order some and I live in Turnford.
Chas. Thanks very much for the information. Really good advice and much appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Alan

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:48:16 am »

If you fancy a trip up to sail at Stevenage one Sunday morning you'd be more than welcome, I'd be happy to show you how to grease propshafts etc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.