Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with unidentified Type 42 object  (Read 1772 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Help with unidentified Type 42 object
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:33:10 pm »

Hello. Im back to building my Type 42 but am having difficulty identifying a small structure present on all Type 42's, even the batch 3's.
Despite searching the net, I cannot find clear pictures. The best I can find was the picture below of Liverpool. The item is in the top left, on top of the modified air intakes and in front of the funnel. It looks like some sort of open cabinet. On the left side it appears to have 2(?) mini fans or speakers(?) at the top. On the right, there's only what I describe as a curved shroud. What it looks like if you were stood in front of it I dont know but it looks like some sort of cooling system?
Does anyone know what this is and have a better picture or a drawing of what this 'thing' looks like?
TIA

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help with unidentified Type 42 object
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 02:10:57 am »

Is this the component you mean?.....I looked at the WEB pages for Type 42's all ships from batch 2 and batch 3 show the component, however without clarity  >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:04:18 am »

If any one has a copy of Combat Ship by Paul Beaver (Type 42) I think this gives a better picture of this. I have a copy but I'm on holiday and don't have access to my books. Also I may have a drawing of this,but I need to check.

In answer too your question, the hood and back plate has speakers and control boxs, I assume it's and aux conning station.
Regards David

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:47:28 am »

I probably have some photos of this console from when I was making the 1/32nd Gloucester - I'll see if I still have them.

I am fairly sure it is a communications facility but I can't remember if it is for either visual signaling or for Visual weapon direction or both

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 05:18:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies! Yes, that's the part I mean. If anyone has a clear photo or even a rough diagram they could post, it would be grately appreciated  :-))
From the pictures Ive seen, it seems like the version on the Batch 3s may have 4 speakers or 'fans' as I thought they were whereas on B1s and 2s, there seemed to be just 2. That could have been due to the poor pictures I had though. Im more interested in the shroud and what's under it as Ive a B1 Type 42.

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 06:38:49 pm »

I have found what I have there as attached.  My notes at the time call it the "signal deck" and the box under the curved hood is the Emergency Fire Control Box which is used to enable a basic control of the 4.5" gun using visual aiming and manual range entry in situations where the main fire control system is non operational.

If wanted I can also send on a copy of my notes with measurements in cm but they were taken almost 20 years ago so deciphering them is likely to be a bit hit and miss

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 06:43:01 pm »

I have found what I have there as attached.  My notes at the time call it the "signal deck" and the box under the curved hood is the Emergency Fire Control Box which is used to enable a basic control of the 4.5" gun using visual aiming and manual range entry in situations where the main fire control system is non operational.

If wanted I can also send on a copy of my notes with measurements in cm but they were taken almost 20 years ago so deciphering them is likely to be a bit hit and miss
Ah, tremendous! Those photos are a great help! Many thanks  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.