Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: glue  (Read 4777 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
glue
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:37:31 pm »

what is the best glue to stick plastic to wood     r

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:19:48 pm »

I think 2 part epoxy resin is the best but you will have to sand the contact area of the plastic to guarentee a good bond in the joint. I would use quicker setting 5 minute apoxy.
A lot depends on the size of the materials being bonded in making a choice of glue.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »

Why do we still use these types of glue? If your deck area is large using 5 minute epoxy  you will have to be quick and the cost say no more. On the market now are very good glues used in the construction industry that will stick plastic to wood. Look for a product made by Everbuild / Sica it is called Sticksall but you decide which you prefer.

Stan.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:17:37 pm »

Hi Stan never heard of it checked on line.  Is that the same as Stixall?
Roy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:52:50 pm »

Hi Roy yes it's stixall got spelling wrong. Any queries you can ring the technical on 0113 2403456 they will answer all your questions. I have used this many times with no problems.Their customer service will tell you local stockists in your area.

Stan

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 06:56:08 pm »

Hi Stan the applicator is rather industrial!  Bigger than some of the models  have made.
Roy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:24 pm »

You can buy smaller tubes for small areas.If using a large tube you will need a cheap mastic gun and if needed put some in a small syringe or apply using a spatula or a wood stirrer.

Stan.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:47:35 pm »

I had never heard of this stuff until now. Looks pretty good
https://youtu.be/P1iqIOpHR5c

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:11 pm »

Stixall looks like a good new product but your joint for gluing may need overnight clamping to ensure fully cured bond.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:02:27 pm »

Some items may need clamping. The glue has very little sag and you have time to postion things before the glue starts to set. Normal full cure is 24 hours I have fitted four metal motor mounts in two 1/200 models with no problems.Just be aware I dont think it is over paintable.

Stan

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 01:19:21 pm »

Depends a bit on what plastic you're sticking to, and also the nature of the joint e.g. small area, large area etc.

For a really strong joint I like modified acrylic. They're a twin part adhesive like epoxy, but they tend to key into the plastic a bit. The resulting bond is usually stronger than the material, but they can craze some plastics, and most tend to have a fairly quick get time, which can an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you are gluing. Some formulas are available as a 'honeymoon' mix, where you put each part on each surface then press it together for it to go off, or should that read 'get off'!

Epoxies are often fine, but you need a good amount of tooth on the plastic, as the bond is entirely mechanical. I favour slower set epoxy as it tends to be totally waterproof and is stronger.  I use JB weld a lot, as it sands and works nicely, and sets with high strength. Sometimes if I want a thinner adhesive I use epoxy resin formulated for laying composites,

Quick set epoxies are fine in certain circumstances, but they never seem to be as strong as their slower setting counterparts.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 03:43:09 pm »

If you are joining plastic to plastic then use a solvent weld but for plastic to wood  this will be fine . It will be no good for fine detail work and a different glue will be needed. This family of adhesives are made for a far tougher environment than any model boat  will be subject to. The motor mounts in the picture are glued down using clear Stixall  this dries soft  which helps to absorb vibration from the motors  a must in a injection moulded hull. Second and third picture show my model of Gambier Bay the simulated flight deck planking was scored plastic sheets from evergreen. These sheets were glued to lite ply using a glue from Evo Stik called Nail and Seal very similar to Stixall they have been in place since 2009 with no moment at all. Any Quires contact the technical team number on previous post

Stan.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »

The original post unfortunately gives very little detail. In my case, cost is a factor and the 2 part resin fast or slow setting is a multi use glue for many applications in building model boats. The unused resin and hardener store easily ready for future use. Ambient temperature in the work area certainly affects setting and curing times.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »

Yes like all things costs has to taken into account. But certain types of epoxy do not come cheap I have no wish to sway which glue people use.  I can only state which one I have used for certain jobs and had good results.

Stan

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:49:45 pm »

The  glue Stixall mentioned is well worth remembering for the future.  :-)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 12:47:01 pm »

thanks to all who replied to my question  will go for stixall  gordon

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 04:35:27 am »

A bit off-topic perhaps.  You should definitely test whatever glue you hope to use before applying it to your model.  In a build I am doing, I need to adhere clear plastic tubing to holes in styrene.  I made up a test coupon and drilled holes for the tubing.  Then I applied 5 adhesives: MEK solvent (my go-to styrene glue), CA, epoxy, clear Gorilla Glue, and canopy glue, and put pieces of tubing in the holes.  After a day's cure I put the pull test on each.  El voila, they all held well.

Another time I tested several glues to stick styrene to PVC pipe.  Some held well, but some failed.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 07:41:20 am »

Here in the uk to glue P V C you would have use a solvent based glue used in the plumbing trade this may glue styrene to P V C need to do a test piece .I do not know of any P V C material used in the uk for model building unless you are scratch building.

Stan

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 02:02:48 pm »

I am scratch building a twin screw ferry with prop tunnels.  PVC pipe, cut in half lengthwise was used for those tunnels.  And I had to glue it to the styrene in the hull, thus the odd gluing requirement.  3M 5200 marine sealant was the answer.

I do want to try the Stixall mentioned in this thread.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 04:08:21 pm »

received my glue. stix all. yesterday it sure is true what it says on the tube

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 07:06:02 pm »

Soudal Fix All adhesive has impressed me hugely, transparent, very light, remains flexible, does not sag, fills large spaces, high tack touch dry in an hour, full strength after 24 hours.
Excellent product.

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »

Going to give Stikall a go based on comments here, sounds ideal for motor mount to hull scenario  Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.