Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air rifle target shooting.  (Read 1962 times)

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
Air rifle target shooting.
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:59:44 am »

Just started a new hobby to get me out these dark evenings instead of sitting in front of the tv. I have purchased a PCP air rifle and found a shooting club literally 10 minutes down the road. I went for an induction yesterday of how to handle a rifle or pistol and all the safety aspects. Boy I had no idea how popular the hobby was this range was very busy with male and female shooters, by the way this is only target shooting I would never kill anything even if it's vermin in my eyes it's all a living animal let's just make that clear.
I'm now looking a specific target shooting air rifles and it's a minefield I'll definitely have to speak with my new club members and see what they're using and recommend....

Apollo

• Shipmate
Re: Air rifle target shooting.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:31:54 pm »

I’ve done a lot of shooting over the years, spent thousands but gave it all up when the new laws came in. Loved it but can’t be bothered jumping through hoops of regulations because of a bunch of careless non respecting teenagers that caused all the law changes. The particular house I live in only has one brick wall to mount the safe on, unfortunately that’s the living room and dining room wall which would be on full display to any visitor so had to give the sport up.

Mark

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 12:42:13 pm »

As I said these are air guns not live ammo....

Apollo

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 03:44:28 pm »

Scottish law is different. You need to be licensed and keep them securely now.

Mark

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »

Takes me back umpteen years.  :-)

I used to shoot .22 and .303 for my school CCF team back in the 50s and early 60s, and carried on with .22 with my own weapons during the 60s, until a bloody minded Police Inspector wouldn't issue me a licence when I moved north in the early 70s. I found out many years later that he hadn't the power to do that once I was a licence holder or I'd still be shooting now.  >:-o

I tried air rifle a few times but never could get on with it as the recoil occurred before the bullet left the barrel, the opposite of what happens with cartridges.
Regards
Kit

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:25:46 pm »

Takes me back umpteen years.  :-)

I used to shoot .22 and .303 for my school CCF team back in the 50s and early 60s, and carried on with .22 with my own weapons during the 60s, until a bloody minded Police Inspector wouldn't issue me a licence when I moved north in the early 70s. I found out many years later that he hadn't the power to do that once I was a licence holder or I'd still be shooting now.  >:-o

I tried air rifle a few times but never could get on with it as the recoil occurred before the bullet left the barrel, the opposite of what happens with cartridges.

I'm buying the new generation of air rifle that has absolutely no recoil it's a PCP rifle, PCP stands for Pre-charged Pneumatic, which means that the compressed air is put into the gun in advance before it is shot. Basically, it’s an air gun with a hollow tube containing high-pressurized air. Typically, the air is compressed at 3000 psi (pounds per square inch), sometime less, sometime more. There are multiple ways to fill the air reservoir.  You can use hand pumps, scuba tanks or carbon fibre tanks. Once the gun is filled to a certain pressure level, it is ready to use. The firing cycle of PCP happens as follows: When you pull the trigger, the firing valve opens and releases compressed air inside the barrel. The compressed air has no way to go but behind the pellet and the pellet is pushed out of the barrel due to propellant force of the compressed air. After that, a small amount of air and pressure in the reservoir are reduced.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 09:55:10 pm »

Hi Tony, I have a Weihrauch HW100 springer and a HW100 KT. Both 177call.
Very accurate especially the PCP. So much so I got bored with it and use my
Springer mostly, like you I only shoot at targets not living things.

John

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 09:49:42 pm »

well I've gone a joined club and bought a rifle believe it not it has an electric trigger the lipo is stored in the grip,

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.