Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zwarte Zee  (Read 1970 times)

mrw

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Zwarte Zee
« on: October 13, 2019, 09:08:09 am »

I am about to start the Billing Zwarte Zee. I purchased it about 25 yearsas a project for my retirement and paid £30. I think I will be o/k with the construction but I hav’nt a clue about prop size, motor and battery type. I have some lipo’s can they be used.

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Zwarte Zee
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:18:50 am »

I like the lines of these ocean going tugs and have been contemplating similar myself.  Possibly a Lloydsman. 
On my wanderings aound the web I found this old Pathe News film clip of the real Zwarte Zee just after it was launched in 63.
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVAAMRTHSUUUWXQXCNN2N4EY3FLI-HOLLAND-WORLDS-BIGGEST-TUG-LAUNCHED/query/tug

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:47:32 am »

Hi MRW, is your kit the plank on frame one?  I think this is to 1 : 100 scale.  The later kit with plastic hull is slightly larger at 1 : 90th. scale.
It does not need much power a 385 on 7.2 volts with a 3 or 4 bladed 35 / 40 mm prop will do nicely.  You might have to think about where to put the batteries as the PoF version has small spaces, so try to get the battery as low as pos.  As far as your lipos go will they fit in place and 2 lipos gives 7.4 volts and that would be OK.

If you have a Monoperm or Monoperm super they would do nicely.  If you can measure the current on load 1 amp will be enough.  If you do not have a speed controller then go for a really cheap one.  Bang good do a brushed 10 amp without brake, for less than a fiver, I have several for my small boats and they work well.

The esc is tiny about 3cm x 1.5 cms. the connections are as for your receiver battery and I would consider using 2500 mAh AA batteries to drive the prop.  There is a switch with the esc that supplies the 4.8 volts to the receiver, (BEC).  They also sell made up wires with these male and female connectors in place, which will connect to the drive battery

https://www.banggood.com/10A-ESC-Brushed-Speed-Controller-For-RC-Car-And-Boat-Without-Brake-p-966363.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN

regards, hope this helps
Roy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 12:04:49 pm »

I must admit to being tempted by this kit many times.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 12:22:54 pm »

Hi kpnuts, the plastic version has been built for RC, the wooden one is a very early kit and probably meant as a static model. 

I would think that an old PoF kit might have the planking wood too dry to use.  There are many fittings and the bar type stanchions will get you going, I found best done with superglue having also tried soldering. 

Beware wearing varifocal glasses for this!

There are many port holes as well and you need to think about water proofing the port holes and making sure the plastic inserts are well fitted.
Hope this does not put you off, my one (all wood) has come to a halt, sits on a shelf and looks at me every time I go in my shed, and about 90% complete.
Good luck
Roy

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 01:23:07 pm »

Hi MrW, I built one of these many years ago, the wooden one. The wood for planking in my kit was fine, and it all went together without any problems. It's also true that not everyone is so lucky with the wood.  If your planking wood has dried out, first try soaking it for 24 hours, and then see if it will be OK to use. If not, then just order some more wood for planking from your favourite model shop. In my case that's Cornwall model boats. Just tell them what the wood is for, and how many planks of what size you want.
   I can confirm that the 385 motor is ideal and cheap. Don't mix it with a 380 motor, same physical size but totally different. Use 7.2 volts NiMH battery or 2 s lipo if you already have those. Don't forget to order a coupling, again just tell the shop the motor and shaft size. A 35 mm 3 blade brass prop would be my choice.
 Lastly, the subject of cheap Chinese ESC s or recognised UK made ones that cost more is a subject that had been disscused to death on here, and I don't intend confuse your question by re opening that subject. You've had a recommendation for one type, but for what it's worth, I use Mtronics viper controller's in this type of set up. The 10 anp one will be fine.
  I hope some of that helps without side tracking you from your question.
Chas

mrw

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 09:52:17 pm »

I am about to start the Billing Zwarte Zee. I purchased it about 25 yearsas a project for my retirement and paid £30. I think I will be o/k with the construction but I hav’nt a clue about prop size, motor and battery type. I have some lipo’s can they be used.
I am not sure if this is the correct way to reply to all the kind people who took the time to reply to my post. To you all thank you very much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated and every question was answered.
Regards and best wishes to you all. Malcolm Witt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.