Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which motor for my brackengarth  (Read 1933 times)

no1chunk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Which motor for my brackengarth
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:34:00 pm »

Hello guys recently found a love and more time again for my model boats and got my mmm brackengarth out the loft to start but im stuck on what motor to use. I know mmm do the t12 but they are expensive is there a alternative ie car fan or heater motors or mfa type. I plan on running a 12v system with kort thanks

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Which motor for my brackengarth
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:44:01 am »

Hi
I am using rock crawler 55 and 60 turn brush 540 motors(low rpm and high torque) direct drive turning a 70mm 3 blade on one boat, a 55mm and a 60mm on the others.
Only running 50% power on 7.2 volts which pushes 14 and 16 pound boats to over scale speed.
The motors are only around the $30au which to me is cheap.
Canabus

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »

You could use an MFA 919d geared motor, 2.5 to 1 reduction. Plenty of power and torque, but a little noisy.  Here is another thought though, this is a £400+ kit, it's taken ages to build and you're probably very proud of it. Isn't it a shame to save a few quid not getting a brilliant recommended T series motor to put in?
Chas

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:19:34 pm »

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 05:35:26 pm »

hi,
  I am using 900 motors in two of my main tug tow tugs, plenty of power. swinging a 60 mm 5 blade prop in Korts, last for about half an hour on 12v 3 amp battery. More than enough for play or a couple of tug tow rounds!
I searched around a while back and found them cheaper. So saying ... you only need to buy a motor this good once. (used every week and competitions for the last three years with no issues.)

Just my experience .. for what its worth.

Pirate

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 06:08:34 pm »

Hello I totally agree with Chas,  after spending all that time on a model  or kit I only want to fit a motor once so I always use MMM  T12's on my big tugs yes some might say not cheap but you get what you pay for as for heater/fan motors last time I looked  found them about same price as T12. but that's just my own view that's what's great about modelling we all have different ways to get to the same place.
                                    Regards Howard.

no1chunk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:10:52 pm »

Cheers for input guys iv took a punt on a mfa 800 torpedo see what its like if not il go for t12 and use mfa in another kit

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 09:26:16 am »

Hi it's John V i think you chose a good motor the tryed and tested torpedo 800 a good pulling motor cheers John V

chas

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:09 am »

Yes, the 800 is a perfectly acceptable motor. The point that Howard and I were trying to get across, was that after all that investment in time and money, saving £15.00 by not fitting a " Rolls Royce" motor is difficult to understand.
Chas

no1chunk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 12:50:03 pm »

Thanks for all the input guys and tbh reason why i was bit unsure of the t12 from mmm is that i read few differant opinions of it. Couple said they were not very good few said they were good but expensive and few said for the cost there are better motors out there that are cheaper so was very confused. Didnt wana spend around the £50 inc delivery for something i could of been disapointed with so thought go with mfa which was cheaper if dont like it stick in my stores and use in a differant boat which il soon be building. But watch this space i suppose.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »

Fair comment, conflicting views can make choices difficult. I think highly of the T motors as you must have realised. I'm sure you'll be fine with the 800 motor.
Chas

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.