Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The passing of a great model maker - Jimmy Woods  (Read 2823 times)

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
The passing of a great model maker - Jimmy Woods
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:22:17 am »

It is with  great sadness   that I bring the news that   Jimmy Woods one of  the finest modellers  of his generation   has passed away .
Dave Wooley

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The passing of a great model maker
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:26:46 pm »

Very sad indeed. Not only a great model builder, but a gentleman as well.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:51:53 pm »

Yes, I met him a few times at the MEX and his modelling was of tha highest possible standard. This is his Seawell from 2007.
Colin

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:49:04 am »

Thanks for that Colin. As a young aspiring model boat builder, I met Jimmy several times and was amazed, not only by his skill, but his humility. He encouraged me greatly and together with the late Frank Hinchliffe helped to turn me into a reasonable model builder.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:31:21 am »

Jimmy's Meteor was described in Model Boats a few years back.
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/rv-meteor/5037
Colin

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:32:22 am »

Sad to hear the passing of Jimmy Wood. He was a great help to me in supplying pictures and some scale drawings of my Meteor  build  A very friendly and helpful person indeed. I did speak to him on the subject what would happen to his models on his passing and did inform me that they would be donating them to the RNLI also the family will keep one of his model as a keep sake / reminder of him. Seemingly Jimmy did a lot of his modelling on the kitchen table. He also had a lathe outside in the garage /shed /workshop  but did say at that time he didn't do much turning.

RIP Jimmy

RST

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:15 pm »

I'm kind of shocked this thread hasn't had more replies, but I'm maybe not so shocked also.  I never knew the guy but what a legend he was in his recreations,  if possible please pass my condolences to his family as an admirer from afar.
Rich

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 07:54:17 am »

I am surprised to

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:14 am »

Maybe not so surprising as we are all getting older. There is no doubt though that Jimmy was one of the best model builders around and a real gent to boot.

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:55 am »

If you consider how few are coming new into the hobby then it is our own generation only that remain and our numbers dwindle every year.  Consequently there are fewer and fewer of us who remember such names when they are mentioned.

I see Frank Hinchcliffe mentioned above.  When I was a youngster and into white metal figure wargaming Hinchcliffe models led the way with the quality of their figures.  In later years I got to know Frank through first Caldercraft and then through Mount Fleet models.  Many an enquiry was met with the standard answer "Well you're the modeller aren't you?".  How many even recognise the name nowadays and how many would complain endlessly if they were to receive such admonishment from a supplier.  But of course he was right and he helped me along the way to become a better modeller.

Jimmy I only knew by name and reputation but didn't have the pleasure of meeting.  His models though speak for themselves as they clearly demonstrate a staggering level of attention to detail and complexity and he lives on through them to enable us to remember and admire him for many years to come.

My condolences to his family and my thanks to Dave for letting us know.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 12:08:45 pm »

Sadly this is the first time I have heard of the gentleman. Seeing the quality of his work and sheer quantity of detail (none of which shows any dilution of quality due to this) is beyond belief.

What with Brian King passing in the last couple of years and now Jimmy Woods, the heavens are going to have some exquisite models.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: The passing of a great model maker - Jimmy Woods
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 06:41:23 am »

Truly a Master model maker - RIP Jimmy.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 12:02:55 am »

This is very saddening to hear,Whilst I was never fortunate enough to have met him,I am familiar with his work.Both his Seawell and Meteor are staggeringly good builds.I have seen models that perhaps equal them.but the big difference is that those are by professional modellers who do this for a living,Jimmy was a retired petrochemical engineer and it was his hobby.
My condolences to his family and I do hope Jimmy's models have a safe home,they deserve to be enjoyed by many generations to come.

Regards

Nigel

LauraE3182

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 09:11:20 pm »

I was just having a look at various things online including where one of the real life boats is of the models made by my Grandpa - Jimmy Wood and came across this thread!   Thank you all for your kind words about Jimmy and of course to Dave Woolly whose words spoke volumes at his funeral just over 12 months ago.  I am proud to have one of his models pride of place in my home and is lovely to see that everyone thought so much of him

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 09:46:02 pm »

I meet Jimmy a couple of times, at shows, an enthusiastic, humorous & humble man..... Master Model Maker. 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »

I am proud to have one of his models pride of place in my home

That is a wonderful sentiment and a lovely compliment to your Grandpa.
Good to know that his craftsmanship will be cared for and looked upon with pride.

Regards,
Ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.