Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio protection  (Read 1732 times)

Rodeo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Radio protection
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:53:02 pm »

Planning my bulkhead positions...back in the day I used to fit radio receiver and its batteries in a small Tupperware type box suspended on elastic bands.This was to protect from any knocks and waterproof.Are the new (to me!) speed controllers and receivers prone to shock/vibrations?How are they mounted nowadays?
Thanks.

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Radio protection
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »

I use the simple method of fixing by the use of industrial Velcro, works for me.

Rodeo

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 07:15:58 pm »

Thanks

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:40:20 pm »

I thought that this mounting method went out with valve receivers. %) Earlier electronics had components on the end of wires soldered to the circuit board, these were sensitive to vibrations so receivers etc. had to be protected from vibration, generally by mounting in a foam block. Modern electronics normally uses surface mounted components where they are soldered directly to the board and are not bothered by vibration. Velcro gives a solid mount with a small amount of flexibility against vibration. An alternative is double sided sticky foam tape.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:21:39 pm »

More or less what JimG said, but where inspection by picky people is unlikely, I like Blu-Tak.  Versatile, retains components well, absorbs vibration.  Although really, if the boat is set up well, there shouldn't be any.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 12:02:15 am »

Also consider that "back in the day" your boats were likely powered by reciprocating engines.  Lots of built in vibration.  With electric motors there should be little to no vibration, if you align the motor to the prop shaft very well. 

And today's receivers and ESC's are usually water proof.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:04:43 am »

Also consider that "back in the day" your boats were likely powered by reciprocating engines.  Lots of built in vibration.  With electric motors there should be little to no vibration, if you align the motor to the prop shaft very well. 

And today's receivers and ESC's are usually water proof.
Many RSC are fairly water resistant, all of the receivers that I have seen have a big hole where the leads plug in.  The usual way these days is to build the hull so that it doesn't let water in.  Fast I/C boats had lots of vibration and were inclined to flip, when using valve radios or radios with heavy components soldered to a PCB in something like that, a waterproof box and suspension was needed.
Mounting the radio under a deck (velcro, blu-tak, a little shelf of its own, whatever) with the wiring hole facing down is usually sufficient, certainly in a boat where being flipped by seer performance is not likely.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 10:07:16 am »

Velcro is great for securing battery packs, as they are easy to remove for charging. I have also retro fitted an off switch, that was not in the original specification.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Rodeo

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 11:05:11 am »

Ha! Thanks for info guys,valve radios indeed! I recall a boat I had being swamped,taking on so much water that the only thing keeping it afloat was the plastic box with rubber bands stretching due to the weight of the boat hanging on it.A flotation device.amongst the radios I had was a McGregor with push button control for left/right,once for left 2 for right.utilising a clockwork escapement.Ah the fun of it lol!
There was guy who had a large warship,who would rescue stranded boats towing a tennis ball on a string,circle the dead boat snag the prop and drag the stricken boat to shore.A dodgy manouver with my swamped boat as the string wasnt very long and if my boat had sunk it would've taken his boat with it!

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 02:25:26 am »

Ahh memories!
Clockwork escapements and single channel radio.   Those were the days.
27 meg. transmitters that came in 2 boxes.   One for the actual transmitter with it's 6 foot aerial and a control box attached by multicore cable.   Tweeking the reeds to ensure they were in tune.
Enclosing the receivers in boxes to keep them waterproof.   Ours, Dad and I, had to make it from aluminium for suppression from the spark.
My Cervia has carried out numerous rescues over her 40+ years life with a fishing float and string attached to the rear winch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.