Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flog It! - BBC One  (Read 1427 times)

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
Flog It! - BBC One
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:27:44 pm »

On Flog It!, from the National Maritime Museum in Cornwall, today's programme featured a 1920s Ten Rater model yacht (restored in 1949). Yacht was valued at £100 to £150, but sold for £750! For anyone interested in vintage yachts, it's worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06p07c5

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flog It! - BBC One
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »

Hi Tony thanks for that.  I see it came from the Highgate model yacht club.  For a couple of years 1962/3 I was a member living in walking distance.  They used to have a green shed where they kept the yachts. 

I possibly sailed with that model yacht, back then I was just a casual yachter with a small yacht not one of the class racing yachts.  No radio then except I think for a big A class boat.
The club closed after several break-ins and I think a fire (arson).  Sailing virtually dropped off then.  That kind of behaviour is not new.
I have a pre-war 36 and a very old pond yacht (100+) awaiting their turn for restoration.

regards
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:20:58 pm »

Just watched that,wow, £750!

Good post Tony, thanks!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:58:12 am »

A nice genuine old model .I can see why they were prepared to pay a good price.
There is a cheap 10 Rater on ebay at the moment.  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292792017723

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 11:41:36 am »

Roy - just had a look at a survey of the model boat clubs which was published in Model Maker, March 1956 and the Highgate Club was listed, sailing 10R class. Also on the survey was the Bury Model Yacht Club, which I can remember going to watch them with my father. Not to be mistaken with the current Bury club, the yacht club was a competitive racing club which closed in the mid 1970s.

Hurric123 - thanks but too large for my current storage facilities, Roy knows I am a lover of Smeed designs, just wish I could find the time to build one of his smaller yachts Waterbaby or Sea Urchin would be good.

Martin - Thanks - keep up the good work with the forum - any further progress on your Smeed design "Tiddler" TID tug?

Back to the programme, wasn't the Waterlily a superb Thames steam launch?

https://nmmc.co.uk/object/boats/thames-steam-launch-waterlily/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.