Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another noob  (Read 1386 times)

spattis24

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Another noob
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:31:34 pm »

Hi all,

New member here (Stu), so just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. It's been many years since I last tried my hand at boat building - last time I did it, radios had crystals and coloured flags on the top of very long aerials to show what band you were on, speed controllers had servos etc etc, so expect a lot of dumb questions! Have dabbled with pre-built drones, helicopters etc, but not actually built anything in a long time. Have always been drawn back to boats however, think it's because there is far more scope for detail and auxiliary functions than on anything else. Building a static diving sub has always been a dream, but know that I need to brush up on a few skills before attempting it, so currently working on a Revell 1:200 ETV Waker as a practice project and refresh my memory and get used to working with and trying to package into a confined space. Have also got a very old Billing Boats Banckert that's not been touched in over 20 years, so needs a big restoration and update, and a speed boat project that started with a work colleague buying a pre-built Chinese speedboat and betting that I couldn't build something faster.....

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Another noob
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:34:42 am »

hi, it is easy, honest, just daunting,! most stuff is plug and play, plugs are up to you.
help is always offered, but you best bet us to find a local club, if none are available  then if you put your location in your profile you might find someone local.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

spattis24

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:24:35 pm »

That's great thanks. Yes, so far this little tug has been easy enough, biggest challenge has been fitting everything in. I'm most worried about the brushless stuff tbh, in particular programming esc's. Gone with brushed so far which seems simple enough

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 06:43:11 pm »

that's ok start simple. the rest will come, even we are still learning on brushless!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

spattis24

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:41:18 am »

Thanks,  have (hopefully) updated my location now. The little ETV Waker is now complete,  ready for her first run out this morning, so fingers crossed that goes well! If it does, brushless esc programming is the next challenge!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.