Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chine Strakes  (Read 2012 times)

Rodeo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Chine Strakes
« on: November 09, 2018, 08:38:54 pm »

Hey all. Can anyone advise please..My hull is designed so that the Chines are parallel to the deck ,from rear to front.ie the join for the 'sides'to the 'bottom' panels are parallel to deck.Question..Would a spray rail be ok fitted along this line ie parallel to deck? Or should it run parallel then rise up as the bow tapers? Im asking as a parallel rail would strengthen
the join.Hope this makes sense.
Regards.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chine Strakes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:58:35 pm »

you mean like this.....I think most hard chine boats had the main joint in the hull following the hull deck line..

Rodeo

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:11:21 am »

Thanks Neil.Yes exactly that! This will allow me to strengthen the join of panels at the bow taper.Thanks.

Rodeo

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 01:31:38 pm »

Now got to decide whether to use brass rod or brass tube to make the rail from.I will then apply filler to give it a square section.Hmm ..maybe some 3 or 4mm square brass section. .

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:49 pm »

Got to ask out of interest why you feel the need to add strength to the joint externally? Most of the strength is generated internally from gluing to the chine stringers etc.

To add any significant strength externally would require the use of an angled section which would be a pain (particularly if the angle varies along the hull length) and require letting into the hull. A better approach would be to resin and cloth the hull and let the chine/spray rail just do its job of deflecting water.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:30:20 pm »

Now got to decide whether to use brass rod or brass tube to make the rail from.I will then apply filler to give it a square section.Hmm ..maybe some 3 or 4mm square brass section. .

that was just an easy fit of 5 x 3 mm obeche strip cut on my band saw. as Chris says, just epoxy or polyester resin inside the hull with some very fine mat or surface tissue to add all the strength you neen….

don't make things complicated for yourself by adding brass rod or tube as the spray rail...….not needed at all.

Rodeo

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »

Perhaps I havent explained myself correctly.I still have to fit a spray rail,whether I glassfibre out or inside.I have no inner chime rail,just the tin bent .Fitting a wood rail is difficult,but soldering is a lot easier.The bow taper is butted on the chine line ,soldered and a overlap stop soldered internally.The actual butt join could split,therefore need a rail to cover it.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:30:41 pm »

no Rodeo...…...you actually didn't explain in the first place that you were making your hull from tinplate...…….and that makes one whole world of difference to any build.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:03:47 pm »

Unfortunately for all, this is what happens when multiple threads are used asking related questions for the same  project... <*< ....as here Rodeo talks about tinplate construction  %)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61938.msg653554.html#msg653554

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rodeo

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:10 pm »

My apologies! I shall go sit in the naughty corner...and keep soldering on.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 02:36:15 am »

Good....you just stay there 'soldering on'  %% ......[we know that song] and after each days progress, just post an image or two %)

Our resident Tinplate soldered hull practitioner member ....RGY or hamma......may wish to offer comment

Looking forward to see the works  O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.