Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Suffolk 1/100th  (Read 2329 times)

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
HMS Suffolk 1/100th
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:08:14 pm »

Hello all

I'm in need of some help regarding my latest project which is the refurbishment of my 1/100th scale County Class heavy cruiser HMS Suffolk.

The model is built as an early representation of the ship around the 1930's before she had the rear seaplane and hanger fitted.

The work i'm looking to undertake is a complete repaint of the ship as the original paint is flaking in areas and I would also like to add some hull plating as there is none at present.

My main concern is finding a good match for Royal Navy grey and if possible using revell acrylics to achieve this although i'm open to other options. I bought a couple of colours to try including light grey 76 but this seems to have a blue tint to it and the original paint has more of grey shade.

If anybody knows where I can find some plans for this ship to match the hull plating and also what thickness plasticard to use I would be greatful.

I'm not looking to add every single rivet detail to the model but would just like to bring an ageing model back to it's prime.

Regards

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Suffolk 1/100th
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »

Just read she spent a lot of time on the China station pre-war, which would make an interesting colour change from the boring regimental overall grey. Something to consider.

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »

Just read she spent a lot of time on the China station pre-war, which would make an interesting colour change from the boring regimental overall grey. Something to consider.

Hi dodes

Yes she did and it would seem she sported a white hull with buff/ yellow superstructure. I've had the model a good few years now and really like the normal grey navy paint colour she's in so although not accurate to the era I would like to stick with it.

I've found a really good website https://www.world-war.co.uk/Kent/suffolk.php3 depicting the colour schemes she had and want to replicate the home fleet late 1936 look.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 03:30:53 pm »

Hi Mate, understand your views, I say good for you and you get a nice model at the end of the day. Have a soft spot myself for the class, fathers first ship was Norfolk at the out break of the war until1943, she was painted mid grey all over until she was given some camouflage system. I have a book by Les Brown called "County class cruisers" printed by Ship Craft which might be of interest to you, if nothing else it gives a feel for the class.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »

Hi ya mate
a long time ago a gentleman named Norman Ough produced a set of drawings for HMS Dorchester which is in the same class as HMS Suffolk - a lot of Norman's plans are held in Bristol ( see link https://advisor.museumsandheritage.com/features/ship-plan-scanning-at-brunels-ss-great-britain/ ) whether we can now purchase these plans I am unsure - but - the other alternative is there is a Book of Norman Ough's models by Alistair Roach which is readily available on Amazon etc. - ISBN No.978 1 4738 7948 - this book is one of my Bible's of model boat building.   There is a short paragraph regarding HMS Dorchester and other articles/information regarding this model being built, which may be of some help to you.     Hope this is of some help to you.

Also, another link for you - just to browse - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_A._Ough

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »

Thank you both for all the information

James Duff

• The Sovereign Boss Man
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:25:13 pm »

Admiralty pattern 507C Foreign Stations Grey / Mediterranean Grey / Light Grey first gained blue pigment in 1928, and this was increased in the early thirties.

507B Home Fleet Grey first gained blue pigment in the early thirties and the shade was finalised in 1936 and it stayed that way until replaced in the mid 1950s. 507A, reintroduced in 1939 after disappearing after the Great War, was exactly the same colour but lacking 10 pints of dark grey enamel per cwt of linseed oil paint resulting in a flatter finish.

A ship with the Home Fleet in 1936 would have been painted in 507B and would have had a slightly glossy sheen to it. We offer correctly matched HFG in 125ml tins if that helps.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.