Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Bulwarks q

(1/2) > >>

g4yvm:
I've just been perusing the plan for my Breeze (got to start somewhere) and most of it makes sense, but all my 40 years of modelling has been on planes, so I'm working hard to keep up.

Its probably easier if I add a photo  of my question tomorrow, but has anyone built Breeze?  A pilot cutter.  My question is about quite how the bulwarks mate to the fibreglass hull...do they sit atop or alongside and extend above? 

David

dreadnought72:
I don't know your model, but I'd suspect the hull is the hull and, once decked, the bulwarks are situated just inboard of the deck edge planking, extending upwards.

Do a Google search on pilot cutters - it'll probably make more sense than my opening sentence!

Belay that comment! Is this the Sarik plan? That appears to show the bulwarks outside the decking's margin planking, and inline with the hull surface. There's a wee gap between hull side and bulwarks for the water to get out, the bulwarks being held in place by those square posts. And on the 'chainplates' drawing there's evidence of wood fillets showing the bulwarks and hull surface inline.

Andy

Baldrick:
Check the dimensions of the hull moulding against the plans. You may well find that the moulding incorporates the bulwarks . The deck will be set down from the top of the moulding and located and supported by a timber batten (typically 6mmx6mm ) to be bonded to the inside of the hull moulding.

This is breeze with the bulwark planking removed when at Porlock Somerset.

.[size=78%][/size]

g4yvm:
Thanks.both.

The profile section seems to show bulwarks and hull inlime, but the plan section shows them overlapped. 

Im in a rush now but will study that photo and also show you the plan.

David

g4yvm:
OK here's the detail of my Breeze plan.

If you read the photos you'll see that the plan shows bulwarks and deck glued face to face  whereas the sectional pic which shows the chain plate fixing seems to show both deck and bulwark one on top of the other.  Which is it???

Also, those posts which fix the bulwarks on (sorry, I cant find the name for them)...why are they in two pieces - the thin piece and the square section?  Cant I use one and rebate it and anyway, what does the rebate fit over? There's nothing there that thick.

And finally for today, the topping lift is shown in detail but I cant see where it fits on the vessel.

All help appreciated

Thanks

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version