Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pusher tugs  (Read 1933 times)

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
pusher tugs
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:50:20 am »

Good day,

I have been for some time planning to make a pusher tug, initial thoughts around a springer. My first attempt came to nought when the nice smooth board I found as some packing from a shipment from the far east turned out to be compressed paper and the whole thing fell apart before I had got the bottom on. For attempt number two I have some plywood - must be better. Now the question is, are there any 1 : 1 scale boats out there with the hull shape of the springer, or do they tend to be more flat bottomed ? I would like to have something "semi-scale" at least. Look forward to any comments.

cheers John K.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: pusher tugs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:28:17 am »

Best place to get a  full history of Springers and "truckable" push-boats is across the Atlantic on www.RCGroups.com/docktalk.  First ten or so pages. There are many European push tugs on the inland waterways and rivers. Some interesting ones in Russian rivers and harbours. Hope you find an interesting prototype to model.  If you build a Springer it has to be a Springer ,(but any design above waterline) anything with a flat bottom isn't a Springer.
..well can you land on this?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:37:42 am »

Hi John-k, If you are joining a group with Springers fine, if not then have a look at the many full size craft.  On the Mississippi they call them Tow boats and have colossal loads in barges.
If tempted check out 'American Beauty' on line.  There is a 4K drone video of the boat in operation.  As you look into it more,  it gets more fascinating.  Also a video on a day on a Tow boat.

If you have lots of money there is a kit for the tow boat by Dumas.

kind regards
 Roy

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:15:33 am »

G'day John,

I was involved with the "Albert" Blog under Working Vessels, and while I was waiting for the kit to arrive, I cut up some scrap and built a little Dredge Tender.
The drawing I found on the web, and altered the scale to 1:16 which gave me a model of 20 inches x about 8 1/2 inches. It  has a hull shape very much like a Springer.
I chose to build it as I felt it was a fairly simple shape, and on completion I'm very happy with how it looks and how it performs. The bonus is that it's a scale model, not a Springer!

There is an image on the Albert blog under Working Vessels, reply #116 December 02/15

Ian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 03:38:54 am »

There is an image on the Albert blog under Working Vessels, reply #116 December 02/15

Here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52388.100.html
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:40:03 am »

The international work boat show has an image on their website you can work to...
https://www.workboat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/67-x-28-OUTBOARD-PROFILE1-pdf.jpg

:-)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:42:53 am »

The international work boat show has an image on their website you can work to...
https://www.workboat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/67-x-28-OUTBOARD-PROFILE1-pdf.jpg

:-)

If you go with this design keep the superstructure very light or you will have a very tender model

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:04:52 pm »

Good day,

Yes - one wonders what stops it falling over ! Thanks for all the input so far - plenty of food for thought.

cheers John K.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.