Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Das Boot (Netflix)  (Read 2337 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Das Boot (Netflix)
« on: November 11, 2018, 03:23:43 pm »

Sequel starts Nov 23rd Sky Atlantic

Das Boot (TV series)

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Das Boot 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 03:31:35 pm »

let us hope it is the FULL version and not the directors cut. I remember it previewed at New York and it lasted about three and a half hours, thereabouts. Plenty of numb bums in those days. nemesis

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Das Boot 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 03:34:00 pm »

Its new  and and a sequel a

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Das Boot (Netflix)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 06:35:32 pm »

Tonight 2000hrs  Yesterday  channel also next Wednesday  Das Boot sequel starts  double bill Sky Atlantic 2100 hrs

***Topic renamed***

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
DAS BOOT
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:16 am »

If anyone is interested and you have Sky
the new Das Boot serious not only started this morning but it is available to download the entire box set  :-))

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
Re: DAS BOOT
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 09:58:52 am »

The original series from the 1980s was  riveting [ excuse the pun}  one of the very best in submarine dramas  that was made for the small screen.
Bowwave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:00 am »

In OZ, we have recently [November 2018?] had the 1981 series free to air streamed as 4 x individual sessions.......very interesting............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 12:44:04 pm »

I enjoyed the original Das Boot,
Downloading the new series getting everything sorted then I think I maybe off line a wee while  :}

The good thing is it is not a remake but apparently based on the second book so at least that is something good

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Das Boot (Netflix)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 03:39:44 am »

Haven't seen any of it yet but one review....

Like getting Banksy to repaint the Sistine Chapel:
Sky Atlantic’s Das Boot reviewed

Hurricane displays the kind of idiocy and infelicities you fully expect in a BBC drama, but hope to avoid on Netflix
James Delingpole

16 February 2019

‘I know, let’s repaint the Sistine Chapel. But this time we’ll get it done by Banksy.’ Perhaps this wasn’t the exact phrase used in the early production meetings for the Sky Atlantic reboot (ho ho) of Das Boot (Wednesdays). It does describe pretty well the net result, though.

Yes, I know James Walton covered it last week but I’m going to have to strongly disagree with him: Das Boot — Wolfgang Peterson’s 1980s miniseries about life on a U-boat during the Battle of the Atlantic — is my favourite wartime TV drama ever. And I’m damned if I’m going to let this travesty of a new version through the net.

Let me say, before I loose my depth charges, that the submarine stuff is perfectly fine — especially the nuanced, believable relationship between rookie Captain Klaus Hoffmann (Rick Okon) and his second-in-command Karl Tennstedt (August Wittgenstein). But the rest is pure cliché and bilge.

Remember the main word used to capture the intensity of that original series? Claustrophobic. So now — such genius! —they’ve decided to open up this confined, smelly and resolutely male world to make it more airy and inclusive. Now we haven’t just got German submariners (and the odd French tart on shore leave). We’ve also got gallant French resistance women, a plucky, attractive female lead, a leering Gestapo man, a Catholic priest, lots of scenes in and around La Rochelle, plus — de rigueur these days — some lesbian sex in episode four.

I’m old enough to remember the era when lesbian sex existed in only two places: perfervid teenage fantasies and the mags that fuelled them. Now it has become so ubiquitous and is so barded with implicit, hectoring worthiness (‘See: no homophobia here!’) it ought to be patented as the world’s most effective anaphrodisiac. When I was a kid, it was Daleks that sent me hiding behind the sofa. Now it’s hot lesbo action.

But never mind that, far worse is the lameness and inauthenticity of pretty much every scene not on the U-boat. With the original you were there, with the crew, seeing the war entirely from their point of view. When, in that memorable Gibraltar episode, they were strafed by a terrifying allied fighter aircraft, you found yourself rooting entirely for the Germans. Now, though, that perspective has broadened — fatally — so that when the U-boat gets depth-charged, you’re not just below the waves with the nervous crew, but also with two American crewmen leaning over the rails of their destroyer, exchanging platitudes about the fate of the submariners they’ve just wiped out. So instead of life in the raw, in close-up, we get a vapid, hackneyed panorama.

‘Is this what it’s like getting old — noticing all the stuff they’ve got wrong?’ the Fawn wondered as we watched, griping. We had similar reservations about another, even more dire wartime drama, the Netflix film Hurricane, about Polish fighter pilots during the Battle of Britain.

By far the best thing about it was Iwan Rheon’s apparently fluent Polish. But this bravura effort from the "illigitimate" of Bolton was squandered on an otherwise wooden, clichéd, stilted, dreary production that had absolutely no feel for the period or, indeed, for the dramatic possibilities of its true-life subject matter.

The point about those Polish fighter pilots is that they were committed, ruthless killers in a way their British comrades often weren’t. If you’re going to throw light and a Netflix budget on this fascinating historical footnote, you surely owe it to those who were there — and to posterity — to capture the courage, the sacrifice, the grim relentlessness and, yes, the brutal ugliness of the period and its participants. You want to treat it like an episode of Gomorrah — never mind muh feelings, this is how it was and is.

Instead we got the kind of idiocy and infelicities you fully expect in a BBC drama, but rather hope to avoid on Netflix. This was especially noticeable in the silly bolt-on subplot about plucky WAAF plotters battling heroically against ingrained male chauvinism and snobbery. Presumably, the commissioning people were worried that if they didn’t do this young female viewers might find it a turn-off. Hello? That is entirely the point of war drama: it’s there to reward men for the long hours they have to endure with their wives and girlfriends watching horrid, exploitative guff about handsome serial rapist-murderers and hunky bodyguards and feisty girl leads putting men in their place and other such female-friendly drivel.

What we chaps need is another world war so we can go off and do our thing in a manly man’s world like men are meant to. Rarely have I felt more envious of the generations that did!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/like-getting-banksy-to-repaint-the-sistine-chapel-sky-atlantics-das-boot-reviewed/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 03:48:29 am »

Reviews not sounding good... have you seen it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6661373/Outrage-Das-Boot-sequel-features-raunchy-sex-scenes.html

Das boob! Outrage as TV chiefs sex up sequel to classic film Das Boot about an all-male crew on a Nazi submarine

Sky Atlantic will show a sequel to the 1981 epic German war movie Das Boot
    Wolfgang Petersen's movie followed the fate of a single German U-Boat
    The new series, which starts this week, features a number of female characters
    Some early reviews have commented on the racy nature of the scenes 

It is widely regarded as one of the greatest war films ever made, a tense drama almost entirely confined to the claustrophobic all-male setting of a Nazi submarine. But although the men of the original Das Boot languished in mid-ocean far from female company, a new sequel features a string of women characters – and often in explicit sex scenes.

The television series of the same name carries on in 1942 from where the film left off. Unlike the original, the modern production, pictured, features much female nudity. Much of the action is set on board a German U-boat but there are parallel storylines involving women in the Nazi forces and in the French Resistance. German actress Vicky Krieps plays Simone Strasser, a German naval translator assigned to the submarine base at La Rochelle in occupied France. In one scene in the opening episode, Strasser returns to the house where she has been newly billeted and finds the French owner Margot (Fleur Geffrier) bathing topless in the kitchen. The women barely know each other but are unfazed by the encounter. Margot carries on bathing and simply asks Strasser for coffee or cigarettes. There is also an explicit scene set in a French brothel. A Nazi sailor tells his 17-year-old comrade: ‘It’s bad luck to have a virgin on board.’

Another of the sailors is shown frantically making love to a prostitute, who is less than impressed by his efforts. The young virgin is later shown to a bedroom where a prostitute removes her top in front of him. But perhaps the biggest taboo-buster comes as Strasser visits her brother, a radio operator on his submarine in dock before its maiden voyage – despite the superstition that women should never go aboard. The outraged captain of the vessel is moved to warn him that allowing his sister on the boat will bring bad luck.

While the eight-part drama has already been a hit in Germany, film historian Kevin Brownlow suggested the changes from the original 1981 film were cynically motivated, saying: ‘I suppose they hope they will get the original audience back plus a new one and then profits will roll in.’

He added: ‘The original film had a terrifically authentic bite to it. It was brilliantly shot. It was the Germans being pretty honest with themselves. There was no cover-up for the atrocities that the U-boat people committed.’

In an interview last year, series producer Moritz Polter explained how the story had been opened up beyond the submarine because audiences wanted ‘characters’ as well as ‘claustrophobia’.  Citing the tension and masculinity of the original Das Boot, he said: ‘Audiences that don’t know the film, they get more than that, which is the second strand we have created on land in La Rochelle.’

A second series of the drama is already in production.

Das Boot starts on Sky Atlantic on Wednesday at 9pm.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:51 am »

I'm reluctantly watching this bilge.

The original Das Boot is perfect - claustrophobic, frightening, atmospheric - just perfect.

I saw Das Boot listed on Sky so excitedly set the recorder - only to find it's the new 're-make' that is like a nasty foreign-language "Allo, Allo" with all the humour sucked out and a rip-off generic submarine film spliced together really badly with the gaps filled with sex & violence and smoothed over with a liberal sprinkling of ultra-PC 'strong women' characters.

Very little submarine action. They spend a most of submarine time on the non-diving type VII replica in Malta.

I'm close to hitting delete on the recorder.   >:-o

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 10:19:42 am »

I'm close to hitting delete on the recorder.   >:-o

Just do it now and save your eyes from this torture.....

I watched the all the episodes in the hope and thought this cant get any worse, but it does....

and it's got a "plot twist" to set up for series 2 at the end... PLEASE NO depth charge this to the bottom!!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 11:11:30 am »

Just do it now and save your eyes from this torture.....

I watched the all the episodes in the hope and thought this cant get any worse, but it does....

and it's got a "plot twist" to set up for series 2 at the end... PLEASE NO depth charge this to the bottom!!

Groan - deleted.   :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.