Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini lathe  (Read 1898 times)

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mini lathe
« on: November 11, 2018, 06:38:34 pm »

Hi y'all I was thinking I might get one of these-- https://www.banggood.com/DC-24V-Mini-Lathe-Beads-Machine-Polish-Woodworking-DIY-Tools-80-100W-p-1121255.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN ----There are various models of it ,and prices, and I wondered a few things. Raitool seem to be a good make, Is it? Has anyone experience of these or similar ? Can they be used on steel? Finally can you screw cut with them? Assuming the relevant adaptors are available of course.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Mini lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:40:26 pm »

JUST NO!
It only has a drill chuck rather than a true lathe chuck. There is no tool post on it so no way of holding machine tools, therefore no way to accurately mill a piece of wood nevermind turn metal or aluminium. As can be seen it ships with a couple of cheap blades so its obviously not up to more than some simple wood carving.

The other drawback of course is the direct connection to the motor, no gearing at all.

So no way could you use it for thread cutting or any sort of metal machining at all. Save your cash and get something larger. Even a step up to around 70 quid would get you something better, but still really a 'toy' and wouldn't machine anything substantial.
Thus one is far superior to what you have listed and possibly cheaper if you order from China.....  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Motorized-Mini-Metal-Working-Lathe-Machine-DIY-Tool-for-Hobby/182404388935?epid=5007500104&hash=item2a78261847:g:-eUAAOSwlMFZGe-p:rk:2:pf:0
By the way, the one you list is available on UK ebay for only £30!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:26:36 pm »

I'm looking at my first purchase and everyone says you will end up wanting bigger and better. Warco seems to be a long standing outlet so I'm looking at this myself or a WM 180
https://www.warco.co.uk/metal-lathes-metalworking-lathe-machine/302922-mini-hobby-lathe.html
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:36:06 pm »

Apologies to John if this is way off your topic
I'm thinking I will go for the dearer higher spec machine as I found this most useful site to help me
http://andysmachines.weebly.com/introduction.html
ANDY

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:29 pm »

Hi y'all I was thinking I might get one of these--https://www.banggood.com/DC-24V-Mini-Lathe-Beads-Machine-Polish-Woodworking-DIY-Tools-80-100W-p-1121255.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN----There are various models of it ,and prices, and I wondered a few things. Raitool seem to be a good make, Is it? Has anyone experience of these or similar ? Can they be used on steel? Finally can you screw cut with them? Assuming the relevant adaptors are available of course.

that reminds me of the days when the approved school I taught at wanted a small lathe for the kids to turn things on......i'd left a model boats mag in the classroom when I went off on a week's break...……..came back to find a similar machine, that used to be advertised in model boats mag...….a Peatol lathe I think it was called...…….what a load of junk...…

I have a Myford, second hand around the same cost as the Chinese lathe, but with bags of tools and other ancillary equipment thrown in as second hand from the previous owner, unlike the Chinese stuff,which would have to be bought separately, and can be expensive as added extras.

and as schools use Myfords and Boxfords………..its good enough for what I want if it will take the hammering from enthusiastic kids...…...

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 11:19:50 pm »

there was a bargain lathe on here a few months ago it's still in the for sale listing although now sold it was on there for many weeks!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 11:26:12 pm »

Bad timing or I might have bought it. However I think given the number of years I hopefully have left a variable speed with metal gears is a better start and includes a 4 jaw chuck which closes the gap on price
ANDY

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 06:57:34 am »

I had a friend bodge this together after his lathe drive belt broke, but he
wanted to keep working.   %% ... corded drill cut down, and an old dremel speed control

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:46:34 am »

I have a Chinese Lathe, it is 10in.x18in. I have heard a lot of bad remarks about Chinese tools of all kinds, but have had no trouble with it after 3 years & my friend has had the same machine for over 6 years (same story) The tools for it are cheap & also very good quality.  It is four ft. long & weights about 280 Kilos. I would buy the same again. For hobbies this is as small as I would go. I  have lots of other tools from the same company, including a mill. As I am in Canada the company is Busy Bee & they & their US. counterparts Grizzy are run by two brothers. Have a look @ their web sites ,one of Grizzlies warehouses is over 400,000 sq. ft. not a Micky mouse operation I would say. Mick B. (irishcarguy) in Canada.  ( When I went to purchase my lathe I had a choice of @ least 6  different models & was able to test the one I was buying)
Mick B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.