Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FPV  (Read 1660 times)

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
FPV
« on: November 15, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »

An interesting question has been raised on a facebook page as to whether a 'spotter' is required by someone operating a model boat using FPV goggles. There is nothing in the MPBA rules to cover this & my club certainly has no mention of this. Would insurance cover an accident?

The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
Re: FPV
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 08:19:53 pm »

a spotter is only required under CAA regulations, therefore, surface based FPV is totally outside of this requirement.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:13:40 pm »

While there is no rule saying that a spotter is essential, if they are sailing with other models then one would be a good idea as the field of view is more restricted. Most setups have no view to the side or the rear so reversing would have to be out.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:26:49 pm »

i just thought it an interesting question, if there were to be an insurance claim what would be the outcome.

i have also seen many boat drivers that don't wear FPV goggles that would benefit from a spotter  :embarrassed:

The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:38:24 am »

Liability insurance is designed to cover third parties from injury (not always physical) by the insured. The most common cause is through negligence. On that basis I think your insurance would have to pay out in the case of the FPV argument.
In the CAA case if you did not have a spotter, and there was an accident (or if otherwise caught), you could be open to prosecution by the authority.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 12:08:37 am »

i just thought it an interesting question, if there were to be an insurance claim what would be the outcome.

i have also seen many boat drivers that don't wear FPV goggles that would benefit from a spotter  :embarrassed:
It is an interesting question. Just because the model isnt flying doesnt mean a spotter isnt needed, it just means land \ water modelling organisation possibly havent considered the wider implications of collisions with wildlife, casual bystanders \ kids paddling etc.
It will only take one accident for bad publicity to circulate.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 05:11:40 am »

What sort of boat is this planned for? Something slow won't be any problem but some nuttcase hydroplane may be a bit different. Surely the risk increases with speed and momentum?

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 08:41:28 am »

Just the fact that the question is posed shows reasonable doubt.

Our club insurance requires ..... " The Insured shall take all reasonable precautions to avoid, prevent or minimize any injury to Employees, third parties or Damage to the property of others"
Our H&S policies reflect this condition, so we would no allow sailing under FPV during club sessions.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 09:37:16 am »

At a Laser event a couple of years ago someone put an FPV camera on one.  The then European champion (who wasn't bad at driving a Laser) had a go with it.  Took about a couple of minutes before he rammed the bank.  From near water level, you get a totally different, and not always helpful, perspective on what the boat is doing.
Having a spotter might not be a legal requirement, but not having one really is a dumb idea.  There is no idea of perspective, and zero conception as to what is going on around your boat out the camera's line of sight.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.