Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repairing a fibre glass hull  (Read 1953 times)

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
Repairing a fibre glass hull
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:47 pm »

My lovely Alan Horne J class yacht was rammed by a power boat the other weekend. This has resulted in a small dent which has fractured the fibre glass and chipped off the gell coat.
I am sure that I can make a good repair with resin and filler but not sure about repainting over the gell coat. Although Alan has kindly given me the color code I am not confident that the repair would blend in. So I guess that a total respray of the top half will be necessary.

1)  Will I need a special primer to take to the gell coat
2)  Will I need a special type of paint.
3)  Will a rattle can give me the same excellent finish as the original hull  ( probably not in my hands )
4)  Would I do better to pay a professional sprayer

Any advice from others that have faced similar problems would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Repairing a fibre glass hull
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:49:21 am »

If you've got the paint code, it should be as simple as prepping and filling the affected area, sanding with fine grade wet and dry, priming (any primer compatible with your paint), flatting so only your repair is primed, spraying paint then blending with rubbing compound. This should leave you with a repair that you'll only notice if you're really looking for it. Of course, test your paint colour before applying.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 08:25:20 am »

Firstly, commiserations on your injured beauty. I feel your pain! I guess the reference that Alan gave you is the gel coat identifier not a RAL number or colour code. If it were me, I would try a gel coat repair first. After all, if it looks bad you are no worse off, but you might be surprised at how well it blends. Problem is you don't want to buy a can of gel coat for the small dollop you need. Are you prepared to drive to Alan as I am sure he would let you have a small quantity and some catalyst.

If you get the gel coat, just brush several layers over the filled dent like paint and then finer and finer wet and dry followed by polishing compound.

If you have to go the paint route, to answer your questions - no special primer needed, just a good rub down with fine wet and dry. No special paint needed, Halfords cans or similar will be fine. If you apply several (half a dozen or so), allow it to dry thoroughly (a week or so) then cut back and polish as described before, you should get an excellent finish. A professional sprayer would cost a fair bit, but if you try the DIY options and are unhappy, that might be your last resort.  If you do the prep (rubbing down) youself that will keep the cost down.

Good Luck

Greg

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:34:47 pm »

Thanks Guys for all the help and suggestions.

[/size] I know that Alan is busy until the New Year although he did offer to help with the repair. I think now that I will go with re-spraying myself following your instructions.[size=78%]

[/size]So wish me luck and if all goes well I will post a couple of pics. (may take a while)[size=78%]
[/size]Thanks again[size=78%]
[/size]Dave.[size=78%]

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:25:00 pm »

Good luck.  The nice thing about spraying is if it doesn't turn out too well, a couple of sheets of wet and dry and you are back where you started, ready for another go.  I guess you have the two colour hull - do use a good masking tape along the boundary, and spend as much time as it takes to get that line straight and true.   I use Tamiya tape, and if you use a fairly narrow one (6mm seems to work for me), you can follow the curves of the hull closely without puckering or creasing.  Then cover the rest of the hull with ordinary (cheaper) tape and paper.  If your repair is a very different colour to the hull, you might need a primer coat and a few coats just over the repair to hide it before spraying the whole hull. (I assume you are planning on doing the whole hull rather than trying to blend the repair in? I know it sounds drastic, but even with the correct colour, I suspect you would still see the resprayed area if you just do the repaired area.  Spraying the whole hull will ensure a seamless finish.)
As I said, good luck.  But don't worry.  Your J will still look lovely on the water however your final finish turns out. 

Greg

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 06:52:16 pm »

Thanks Greg,

The repair and filler is now rubbed down along with the rest of the blue part of the hull and looks good. I have ordered some 6mm automotive lining tape and will look for some undercoat and dark blue paint at Halfords at the weekend.

I will post a photo in a couple of weeks.

Dave.

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »

As promised a photo of the finished repair. Maybe not to professional standard but following the advice from Greg and Andy I'm really  pleased with the final result.

I will order the original  white lines from Alan Horne in the new year and then it will look nearly as good as new.

Dave..

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 01:59:26 pm »

Good job Dave. Try as I might I can't see where the mend is.   :-))

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.