Mess Deck: General Section > Other Hobbies and Interests

Steam train restoration yard

(1/5) > >>

kpnuts:
Hi all my daughter and son wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas ( they knew it would be model related)
So I thought long and hard about what to ask for, i wanted something different and I've come up with a dio which could go on for years or finish fairly quickly depending on how I feel it's going.
I lost my dad this yr and one of the things which stands out in my mind (apart from the tall ships and ive had enough of those for now) (ive got 3 stalled tall ship builds 1 unstarted and the Bismarck and KGV on the go) anyway i digress was helping him with his railway layout (which at the time was huge he even built boxes which went round the garden and back in the house, all with removable lids to deal with derailment and such.
Anyway we live near the Colne Valley Railway so I thought I would relive some of my childhood and build a railyard dio of trains in various stages of repair. I figure this to be an enthusiast who is just interested in steam so it will have rolling stock and trains from all over the world. There had a lot of 1/87 - 1/72 Steam train and rolling stock kits availiable so no loss of choice.
I'm looking forward to this, i see it as a loooooooooooong term build (with really no end result in mind) as long as I think of ideas I can just keep adding to it (who knows maybe I will even add some working trains) anyway I have bought a model to start it all off.
The first thing any steam train museum needs is a station

Last time I built a card board rail building I was in my teens, my brother was a glint in my dad's eyes and discos were the new place to be.
This contains laser cut parts, lasers were things of science fiction movies in those days.
I'm open to all ideas and recommendations of kits and buildings (keep in mind this is a side line build so no expensive kits as my main money for modelling will go for my main modelling)

tony23:
nice hobby I think most of use have some passion for steam somewhere! I have just ordered an 8mx 3.4m workshop I'll have a small OO track in there somewhere...

radiojoe:

Hi Ken, Good choice with the Metcalfe kit they are superb, I'll follow this one with great interest.

Joe.

roycv:
Hi Tony, thats almost a shooting gallery!  I have been building the Metcalf kits for a while now. 

I use a good PVA glue, which I puddle out in a small end of small finger size.  Then I use a cocktail stick to apply the glue.
 Sharp scapel and the back of a less sharp knife to enforce the bends.  You may want to use some small spring clamps as well as a small set square and metal ruler and tweezers.
A small piece of glass to cut up selotape on for the windows etc.  Also some fibre tip pens for covering the exposed card.  I use red, black, brown and a couple of greys.  Keep the tools and pens in a small pickle jar so you always know where they are.

I work on a tray with a cutting mat on it so that I can stop and start as needed.
Hope this helps,
Roy

kpnuts:
Thanks for the tips Roy, keep them coming folks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version