Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam train restoration yard  (Read 5273 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Steam train restoration yard
« on: November 17, 2018, 05:30:52 pm »

Hi all my daughter and son wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas ( they knew it would be model related)
So I thought long and hard about what to ask for, i wanted something different and I've come up with a dio which could go on for years or finish fairly quickly depending on how I feel it's going.
I lost my dad this yr and one of the things which stands out in my mind (apart from the tall ships and ive had enough of those for now) (ive got 3 stalled tall ship builds 1 unstarted and the Bismarck and KGV on the go) anyway i digress was helping him with his railway layout (which at the time was huge he even built boxes which went round the garden and back in the house, all with removable lids to deal with derailment and such.
Anyway we live near the Colne Valley Railway so I thought I would relive some of my childhood and build a railyard dio of trains in various stages of repair. I figure this to be an enthusiast who is just interested in steam so it will have rolling stock and trains from all over the world. There had a lot of 1/87 - 1/72 Steam train and rolling stock kits availiable so no loss of choice.
I'm looking forward to this, i see it as a loooooooooooong term build (with really no end result in mind) as long as I think of ideas I can just keep adding to it (who knows maybe I will even add some working trains) anyway I have bought a model to start it all off.
The first thing any steam train museum needs is a station

Last time I built a card board rail building I was in my teens, my brother was a glint in my dad's eyes and discos were the new place to be.
This contains laser cut parts, lasers were things of science fiction movies in those days.
I'm open to all ideas and recommendations of kits and buildings (keep in mind this is a side line build so no expensive kits as my main money for modelling will go for my main modelling)

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
Re: Steam train restoration yard
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:02:57 am »

nice hobby I think most of use have some passion for steam somewhere! I have just ordered an 8mx 3.4m workshop I'll have a small OO track in there somewhere...

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:57:08 am »

Hi Ken, Good choice with the Metcalfe kit they are superb, I'll follow this one with great interest.

Joe.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 01:52:43 pm »

Hi Tony, thats almost a shooting gallery!  I have been building the Metcalf kits for a while now. 

I use a good PVA glue, which I puddle out in a small end of small finger size.  Then I use a cocktail stick to apply the glue.
 Sharp scapel and the back of a less sharp knife to enforce the bends.  You may want to use some small spring clamps as well as a small set square and metal ruler and tweezers.
A small piece of glass to cut up selotape on for the windows etc.  Also some fibre tip pens for covering the exposed card.  I use red, black, brown and a couple of greys.  Keep the tools and pens in a small pickle jar so you always know where they are.

I work on a tray with a cutting mat on it so that I can stop and start as needed.
Hope this helps,
Roy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 02:23:23 pm »

Thanks for the tips Roy, keep them coming folks.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »

Metcalfe do some really good 4 mm building kits, but beware of their 2 mm versions if you decide to try the smaller scale.

For some reason their scaling factor is wrong and the 2 mm buildings are all too tall. With much work you can recut the doors to scale, but it's almost easier to scratchbuild them.
Regards
Kit

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:08:08 pm »

Made a start on the card model

They are incredibly strong considering they are only cardboard.

How do you weather these card models?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:33:14 pm »

Usually they are printed with a subtle amount of weathering but if you wanted more I suspect you should avoid paint at all cost.  I think if you put solvent near them it'll stain the card and look dreadful.  If it was my job to do I'd go for chalks or pastel crayons and fix them with a light coat of artist's fixative or common or garden hair spray.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:55:37 pm »

What you are creating could be a great place to recycle old locomotives and rolling stock as you can take the hulks of locos and cut bits away and scratch build things like the ends of boilers and chassis etc without having to spend loads on shiny new models and break them up.

I know from seeing your cars and other builds that you will make a superb job of this and will not have to worry about rigging or the correct colours except for one or two complete locos, or ones nearing completion. Have a look at brig and buys for old tatty models, ask around and I am sure you will soon have as much material as you need! You will be in weathering heaven, try out some rust techniques on an old model and note down the method for use later on all those old relics awaiting rebirth. It sounds like you could end up with a cross between Barry island and every railway preservation trust on one board  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 08:53:44 pm »

Hi all next update

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 12:03:31 pm »

Yeah I do like Metcalfe kits, all of the buildings on my layout are Metcalfe except one that is Superquick it's ok but IMO not as authentic looking as Metcalfe, some of them are quite complicated yet logical, I think if you disguise the corners where the card shows they are better than plastic buildings, sometimes I just run a soft pencil down the corner and where the edge of the card shows, this diorama could keep you busy for quite a while.

Joe

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 04:32:19 pm »

Hi all more progress on the station, also my brother kindly donated some of his stuff and track (any ideas on how to straighten the bent card ) he also donated my first train. I will be using this as the first fully restored train on the dio.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:28 pm »

Hi all my brother bought me this for my birthday I was really chuffed a rare find. (I know I said I was going to finish some of my stalled builds but this was calling me so loudly)

img]https://i.ibb.co/nnb0ymD/IMG-20190211-5466.jpg

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 08:15:07 pm »

The BoB class loco is pretty good, and that's an original Airfix one too, less worn than the current Dapol produced ones. You can get lots of white metal fine detail bits for it too.
Regards
Kit

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:37 pm »

Re straightening bent card like that shown. I would use balsa and PVA (no CA please!) and pegs or mini clamps to hold the supports in place. For the areas that are quite badly warped and delaminated, you could try carefully applying PVA glue between layers and clamping between Styrene strips so the plastic comes off of anywhere with drips of glue.
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:20 pm »

Gentle steaming over the kettle and then clamping.  Stiffen it up with mounting card and PVA
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 06:26:01 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions friends.
I've started weathering it, in the dio it's going to be one in the process of being restored.
I feel I need to add some more rust but I'm not really wanting it to look really neglected I have a prairie in mind for that I feel at the moment it's not looking very realistic I'm wondering if that's just because it's not in a proper setting.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 11:08:21 pm »

Hi it's John got a 7ft x3ft N gauge and I us Metcalf buildings that are very good .The trouble with oo gauge you need  so much room to get a good layout .but you are doing a nice job cheers John V

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 06:06:11 am »

I built a small town's worth of OO Metcalfe kits when I lived in Finland, but gave them way when I moved back to the UK. When I toured the UK on my Harley a few years ago (starting and finishing in Finland) I found myself in Yorkshire, so dropped in on Nick Metcalfe who was kind enough to give this unexpected visitor a tour of his workshop facilities. He lives next to the Settle-Carlisle line and some of the buildings nearby are very reminiscent of his kits!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:59 pm »

More work on the station building.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 08:27:12 pm »

Hi all well the station is done(well without putting it on the setting) (the platform can't be done till then )

Made a start on the prairie tank engine

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.