Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stabilit Express  (Read 3327 times)

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
Stabilit Express
« on: November 17, 2018, 11:17:59 pm »

Just a heads up.Stabilit has long gone off the shelves of UK model shops and I had been using UHU acrylit.When in my local model shop,they informed me that acrylit was no longer available.I had also become silly expensive for the quantities you get.
I tried the deluxe materials fusion and yes it works similar to the aforementioned products but is a little awkward to use and not so easy to apply neatly.
Ebay to the rescue,you can get the large 80g packs of Stabilit express from sellers direct from Germany.I ordered two packs to offset the 6 quid postage and they arrived within 5 days,The packs work out about 18 Quid each which is only a little more than what they were when they were withdrawn from the UK market several years ago!
A lot of hassle for some glue,yes,but I am sure anyone who has ever used it knows that it is the business for gluing structural joints in builds using ABS hulls

Regards

Nigel

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stabilit Express
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 06:24:39 am »

Hi I have used it in the past for wood to plastic joints and it is very good, gap filling as well.  As you say very expensive, 15 years back I used to visit family in Germany and always brought some back with me.
Glues are generally very dear, lately I have mainly built from wood so a good quality PVA still comes in cheap for the amount you get.
I now 'stick' my motors in place with clear bathroom sealent, it offers a resilience to vibration a firm joint that will release under a constant pressure if you need to remove it.
regards Roy

Ken G121

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 08:43:29 am »

I have been getting mine from eBay posted from Germany for a while. Yes it is expensive but the dogs spherical, I have never used anything else for places I want a really strong joint

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 12:08:22 pm »

Yes Ken it is THE glue for some joints.Epoxy does not bond properly to ABS even after abrasion.I did some research into this and you can glue to ABS with epoxy using a technique of passing a flame over the ABS very quickly.This changes the oily properties of the surface of the ABS to allow epoxy to adhere properly.Am I going to try this?No chance,too much risk of ruining or warping something.

Regards

Nigel

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 02:28:00 pm »

I assume it is no longer produced and it would be old stock that is being sold. I say this because as a product it no longer appears on the official website.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »

It is on the website Brian,but only in the German section from what I can tell

http://www.pattex.de/do-it-yourself-mit-pattex-klebstoffe-produkte-new/pattex-klebstoffe/epoxykleber/stabilit-express.html

Obviously marketed as new so production must have resumed ok2

Regards

Nigel

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »

Hello Gents,
 I have found a great glue called plastic melt by a firm called CARBUSONIC ultrasonic solutions, works on STYRENE -ABS-HIPS-PVC, it's a thin penetrating adhesion 2 hours dry time and can be handled in 10 mins,
    Am using it now on a ABS wheel house  and its working great I will be buying more. I got mine off   e-bay
     web-site is www.carbusonic.co.uk.
                    Regards Howard.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 06:12:36 pm »

Hi Howard

Last place I would think of looking for glue :} Stabilit is the glue for ABS to wood.Other glues that work well ABS to ABS are UHU special plast(in a little purple bottle) and Tamiya extra thin(tight fit up vital)

Regards

Nigel

As a side note,Stabilit Express is now on Cornwall Model Boats website!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 07:32:55 pm »

Stabilit is a modified acrylic glue. There are a lot of other companies that supply modified acrylic glues- Starloc adhesives, Devcon, Loctite, Permatex etc. So plenty of alternatives.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 10:50:51 pm »

Lots of glues now used in the building industry are fine for the model boat world. We seem to get stuck in a rut and not willing to try new products away from the old favourites we have used for years. I have used both U H U Acrylit and Patex Stabalit Express both give excellent results but the down side is the cost. But you pays your money and makes your choice of glues you are happy with.

Stan

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:17:33 pm »

In the RC heli world, we use and recommend Loctite's Hysol 9462 or 9566. Also BVM's Aeropoxy.

Alternatively, this site has a range of glues for all circumstances https://shop-4-glue.com/model-hobby-and-craft-adhesives-34-c.asp

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 12:37:35 pm »

I recently bought some Gorilla Glue Clear at a woodworking show. It supposedly sticks everything. You wet one surface, I simply brushed water on - do not swamp it - and apply the glue to the other surface. Clamp the surfaces or put a weight on them and leave overnight for best results. I experimented with some scraps. Wood to wood is good, plastic to plastic not so good but may be better if you roughen the surfaces, metal to metal is brilliant. I clamped two small pieces of 4 mm square aluminium together and now cannot shift them short of putting in a vice and using quite a bit of brute force. The Glue looks  like a medium viscosity Superglue and flows easily from the bottle.  50 ml is available from about £5.50 on line. Overall I am having good results with it so far and suspect it will be a lot better than Superglue for fixing Deck fittings on my Tug.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.