Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PEBA MOORING TUG I  (Read 12874 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: PEBA MOORING TUG I
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 01:54:21 pm »

Any more photos RTS?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 04:40:25 pm »

Work and puppy (Bill the rottie) is taking a lot of resources at the moment, but here are a few pictures.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 04:52:10 pm »

And my workshop right now, don't think I'll get much build in there.

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

RST

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 04:58:22 pm »

Hi Martin, usually can't get past virus checker still so I have pics of mine finished but not got them up yet.

Hi tica, looks good.  Did you have much distortion on the parts?  I had to straighten allot of mine and took it as fare/safe as I could with the hairdryer but in the recent warm weather the deck's gone back to being like a dog's hind leg again.  I also made the mistake of using Zap canopy glue for the windows from reading internet posts -best glazing I ever did except found it's not even remotely splashproof!  It's school white glue in a fancy bottle at 10x the price!  I've not tried to sort it yet.  Will never use canopy glue ever again.

I sailed mine though, I'm glad I swapped for a 385 motor as the one supplied would have been WAY too fast. 7.2v As batteries seemed about right and mine is about on the max hull speed. No need for ballast but I need to glue a washer or two on port side.  The prop doesn't work much at all in reverse but that is no bad thing on such a small model, but once it does move it's quite steerable going aft either direction.

With the deck distorted I'll never be able to sail in chop. But the hull itself seems quite stable even with my receiver up in the cabin to keep it well dry.

If I can share some more pics from the laptop I'll add them.

Richard

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 05:26:55 pm »

Hi RST
I got a kit from the first batch delivered to Hobby-Lobby and the distortions of parts has been minimal, only the floor of the steering house were bad, but I cut it out and that was that. I know that one from my club, did have a lot of distortion of his kit and he did spend some time with a heat-gun, clamps, steel rulers and wire to get it right, as I have not been at the club for more than a year so I don't know the status of his model.
For the windows i have used either Lock-tight superglue added with a toothpick (Small drops) from the inside while the window were in place, with no fume residue on the windows. Or a German product that is a bit more difficult to work with and seems to gone from the market.

For my Billings Phantom wind-shield I used Glue&Glace with good result.
Carsten

RST

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 05:57:49 pm »

See if this works (I just realised how dirty it is!).  So far I can log-on but not sure how long it wil let me through...

RST

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 05:59:22 pm »

Seems to be OK so far...

RST

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 06:01:06 pm »

Lost at sea in the new SUDS pond next to my flat.  You can maybe make out I need to add a penny washer or something in there to correct a couple of degrees list.  Actually it rolls quite alarmingly but seems to bob back OK so far.  I've tried to get a couple of shots of models on the move but don't have enough hands sorry...

RST

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 06:09:17 pm »

Did I show the home-made hook box before, it's a bit rough and ready but now has the little winch inside.  This is a pic after I printed it -I was originally just trying to have a couple of swann neck vents for the levers for the cams that hold the deck down but changed my mind and fitted some deck clutter instead.  The polystyrene durbar / chequer plate was an attempt to hide the line of the deck hatch and try to give some overlap to keep any splashes out.

I've made a bit of a boob and I think I threw away my A4 printed sheet showing the profile.  I was going to scan it to copy the text into my vinyl cutter for the name.  Without it I'll just have to pick some kind of font that looks close-enough.

The other boob I made (I was building it away from home) was not to apply a darker colour under the orange paint.  Even after about 4 thick coats it's a bit translucent still.

RST

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 06:28:11 pm »

Perhaps I should add I'm not good at following instructions...

I made my own rope guards over the top of the cabin.  Slightly different but allot easier to solder up with only very basic tools on the Mothers dining table at xmas!  The grille over the dome I printed up and very carefully trimmed and glued on.

I printed my own radar dome which looks a tiny bit better in my opinion.  The kit one looked a bit small and lost in there.

I didn't think the cabin top nav. lights with the kit looked like what I saw on the pics, so I made my own from bits and bobs.  There's also a strange double domed forwards pointing thing on the port side which I can only guess are two electric horns?  I can't remember whether I used blobs of araldite or lentils for the domed "horns".  I made a search light for the back of the cabin from bits and bobs.  I also printed a port and starboard nav lamp and glued them in place either side of the front of the cabin, a short length of thin solder looks like the cable in the pics of the real thing.  Looks allot better than nothing.

The cabin door is not from the kit.  My cabin was quite skewed to port as well as the base all skewiff but you can't see that.  I got most of it out but it's not remotely square!  I printed up and made the door from bits.  The door is a "tight fit" with 2 small neodymium magnets on either side at the bottom holding it in place (they are the ones supposed to hold the hatch down): need access for the receiver which is on a clip I printed and glued where the wheel would be.  I drilled a c12mm diameter hole in the middle of the wheelhouse floor for the esc and servo cables to pass through.  Figured that was the driest place for the rx.  Can't see much of any interior with the tinted glass anyway.

I did try and put an exhaust on the transom but nothing would stick to the plastic -would probably have beroken off so I just left it.  I might just paint a small black circle instead.

PS about the kit motor -maybe the manufacturer thought it would be fed from a 1s Li-Po at c3v.  Perhaps it would be OK at that.  I put that motor in my HA kits pilot boat and on 7.2v, the pilot boat should plane so in my opinion it's not the right motor for this kit at all.  Actually, probably an RE 285 would be OK on 6v Ni-cads.

Hope that shares a bit of info / inspiration, it's no way neat and tidy but looks OK from a few feet away as a quick build!

Rich

PS:  WOW ...Malwarebytes has not behaved that long for ages, I should update some other pictures while I can.

RST

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2021, 07:00:58 pm »

Hi RST
I got a kit from the first batch delivered to Hobby-Lobby and the distortions of parts has been minimal, only the floor of the steering house were bad, but I cut it out and that was that. I know that one from my club, did have a lot of distortion of his kit and he did spend some time with a heat-gun, clamps, steel rulers and wire to get it right, as I have not been at the club for more than a year so I don't know the status of his model.
For the windows i have used either Lock-tight superglue added with a toothpick (Small drops) from the inside while the window were in place, with no fume residue on the windows. Or a German product that is a bit more difficult to work with and seems to gone from the market.

For my Billings Phantom wind-shield I used Glue&Glace with good result.
Carsten

...Hi Carsten.  I also had 2 weird "soft-spots" on the hull.  I was told to leave the hull in the sun for a couple of days (chuckled a bit as there's no UV in Scotland in winter) so I tried to cure them with the UV light on the end of a Bison superglue pen.  I got to the point I just shut my eyes and filled the area with more paint as they were only very shallow.  Seems to be OK but one day I guess my finger might push through them.  To be honest the quality of my parts out the box was not that great -maybe just a bad one but was surprised considering how long they have been making them now?  I was going to buy the fishing boat for another quick build -but not after this kit, it's cheap but not that cheap for poorly fitting parts.

Rich

RST

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 08:37:18 pm »

Hi Carsten,

Have you done any more work on yours?  Sorry I hijacked your thread a bit with my photos.  The other week I fiddled with mine a bit more.  Worked out I could fit some 2mm thick foam sheet under the deck hatch and combined with my cams holding it down it's probably tight enough to seal now.  One other thing I noticed was the resin used for printing seems to expand allot with temperature.  So when I fitted my hatch originally it was allot warmer than now and had to shave material off since to make it sit right when I fitted the sealing foam.  I've just got to work out how to waterproof the canopy glue now -I've been checking on line and I used the same stuff as others but my stuff is just the same as white PVA school glue, not even remotely moisture proof so maybe it was a bad batch.

Richard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.