Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiny propellors- source?  (Read 2440 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Tiny propellors- source?
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:00:50 pm »

Yep I need a tiny propellor, shaft size 1 or 1.5mm maximum, 2 blade for speed (racing prop?) preferred and diameter only a maximum of 12mm.
Can anyone suggest a ready made outlet please or do I knuckle down and make my own?

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
Re: Tiny propellors- source?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:03:16 pm »

If your are on FB then search for Protean Design or propshop, Simon can properly help you with this

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:44:40 pm »

If your are on FB then search for Protean Design or propshop, Simon can properly help you with this
Yes I know of Simon,  I have had a prop from when it was prop shop. However I only need one and preferably in plastic although if I have to make it, then it will be brass. The model really doesn't warrant the cost of having one made. Its only 6 inches long and I'm not sure it it will be stable enough even on the proverbial mill pond.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »

While it will not be 2 bladed, but rather 3 or 4, the 1/200 props for the Hood, Iowa's, Bismark series of Plastic hulls sounds like the right size. I used 2mm shafting on my 1/200 Hornet, with success.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:11:21 pm »

What type boat and what sort of performance?
A look at http://towboatjoe.tripod.com/shafts.htm will give practical working ideas, including downloadable prop blank outlines that can easily be rescaled if you scroll down the page a bit.  If two blades are wanted, miss two out, or practice drawing a figure "8" on brass.  Pointy nai for marking, tin snips and a small drill was the toolkit for my first one done that way.  And a file to smooth the rough bits off.  Still works, 30 something years on.  OK if not looking for planing performance.  If that is wanted, then shop-bought is probably the way to go.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:38:36 pm »

At that size the prop can be quite simple as it is probably too small to be properly hydrodynamic. Malcom's suggestion should work fine and is cheap and easy to make. If you make it out of brass you can tweak the pitch to get the power output you want.

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 06:06:55 pm »

Thanks guys. Its for the daughterboat for my current build, as I said its only a shade over 6 inches 150mm. That is a useful link Malcolm, I;ve now bookmarked it. Akira where did you source your props from?

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:02:11 am »

The 3 bladed props on the Airfix 1/72nd Vosper MTB are 12mm diameter and I have used them successfully on some kit conversions to RC.

What sort of weight is the completed model going to be?  I suspect you will need a very light RC setup.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 12:33:26 pm »

The 3 bladed props on the Airfix 1/72nd Vosper MTB are 12mm diameter and I have used them successfully on some kit conversions to RC.

What sort of weight is the completed model going to be?  I suspect you will need a very light RC setup.
Correct in your conclusions! The hull shell is 13 grams, esc is 1gram, servo 2 grams, motor 23 grams. The biggest weight is going to be batteries which will can only be sorted once I have everything else crammed in and can decide on size and weight.
As to the prop, I'll take on board what you say, but at the moment I'm in the process of making one in brass sheet.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »

Brian, Besides finding those props in the Trumpeter kits themselves, there are several after market sets available. I usually look at Squadron Shop.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJg_S-efes

not sure if the link will work but those airfix MTB props mentioned are about the same size if their the correct shaped ones, otherwise the LCMIII tank ones are similar and the link shows the speed based on that of micro servo motors
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

RST

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »

You can try hobby-lobby-modellbau but they are 3 blade.  1EUR for at least 4 on a photo etch depending on size (look in the photo etch section).

Can't vouch for them though, I was trying to place an order with them last week, but they wanted payment by bank transfer and shipping from Germany to France was about 3x the price folk charge to ship to France from the UK.  I E-Mailed them asking about options but they've not responded to 2 enquiries so far.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »

Hi Brian I have some 16mm props which are 3 bladed and have a 2mm thread.  Now I know this is not exactly what you need but if they would help PM your address and I'll post them to you FOC

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »

You can try hobby-lobby-modellbau but they are 3 blade.  1EUR for at least 4 on a photo etch depending on size (look in the photo etch section).

Can't vouch for them though, I was trying to place an order with them last week, but they wanted payment by bank transfer and shipping from Germany to France was about 3x the price folk charge to ship to France from the UK.  I E-Mailed them asking about options but they've not responded to 2 enquiries so far.
yes I've tried before, 19Euro of goods but almost 40 euro of mail charges to Spain. They explained to me they cannot do anything about it, it's down to obligatory insurance from the German post office, apparently in Germany if something is mailed and not received within 4days,the recipient can claim for goods and mIl charges, even if they eventually get the items.
Hi Brian I have some 16mm props which are 3 bladed and have a 2mm thread.  Now I know this is not exactly what you need but if they would help PM your address and I'll post them to you FOC

thanks Mark I have it sorted now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.