Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New novice member.  (Read 1385 times)

gruffalorider

• Shipmate
New novice member.
« on: November 20, 2018, 04:16:58 pm »

I would like to start by thanking the moderator for such a nice welcome note and thank all the members for their future patience and support.

I have never been successful in gluing and painting models since my junior school airfix planes.
Due to retire from work within the next two years I am looking for another hobby to keep me busy.
Having several boats all high speed and off the shelf ready to go I have had much fun over the years, even sinking one having side swiped it with another.
RC cars and helicopters also added to my collection.
I have always wanted a lifeboat, but unable to buy what I want ready to go. I will have to make one.
I have seen a couple, starting with a 1/12th Shannon semi kit for £330 to a full kit around £1000. I need to do a lot more research on deciding the way forward.
However I have started by purchasing a Coxswain figure the first of three just to get me going.
Learnt already not to use grey undercoat and the correct shades of blue and orange for the boat itself.

Could do with some advice on the correct acrylic paint shades for my helmsman. Think I have the wrong shade of yellow to start with...
I will try and attach photo of my 1st figure, colours I am trying to achieve and the Shannon semi kit completed example.

Regards Nige.
My Goldwing was called the Gruffalo

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: New novice member.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:23:26 pm »

Welcome Gruffalorider.
I also covet a Shannon. The semi kit is a good way of spreading the cash flow. I'm tempted to obtain a jet drive/motor combo and play with it in a smaller boat, The speed of the Warwick demos was astounding. Particularly the stop from speed using the reversing buckets.
Don't Assume Check

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 07:55:26 pm »

I saw a very nicely built Shannon on New Brighton lake on sunday and it was scratch built plank on frame...….also very nicely done was the propulsion...…..it was actually prop shafts, props and rudders, hidden behind the keel skegs with mock up water jet outlets attached to the transom...….

in the water it looked so very realistic with the proper wash as though coming from the jets...…..it was running on 2 x 800 mfa's with a 7 cell [ I think] li po battery pack...…….and gave a good [not over the top] realistic speed...……

was only when the gent took it out of the water did the propulsion system become evident...………..but it certainly didn't detract from the boats looks or performance. :-)) :-))

gruffalorider

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:14 pm »

Thank you for your responses. Looking through this forum is the way forward. full of interesting views and answers. Already had some excellent advice on colours and air brush painting for my figures.
So looking forward to starting build in the not so distant future. Nige
My Goldwing was called the Gruffalo

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 11:02:20 pm »

Hi Nigel,

True colouring is dependant on scale and weathering, also the weather can affect how dark or light a colour looks, so I believe that if it looks alright then it is.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.