Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USEFUL STUFF  (Read 1743 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USEFUL STUFF
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 11:51:41 pm »

Are these any good>--https://www.banggood.com/Paron-JX-D5301-Multifunctional-Ratchet-Crimping-Tool-Wire-Strippers-Terminals-Pliers-Kit-p-1175325.html?currenccriteoy=GBP&utm_source=&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=all&utm_campaign=tools-gb-en&cur_warehouse=CN

I suppose if you are doing a lot of electrical stuff as a profession...…..priceless...…….but as a modeller...……….I have never needed such a tool in 50 years where a good set of pliers wouldn't suffice.     sorry to be the harbinger of doom and gloom, but I only buy tools that I know  will use frequently.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:34:31 am »

Hi John,

I have a pair of wire strippers/cutters of the same style as the one in the top part of the case in the picture - not the same brand but they look the same (possibly a tool from one manufacturer sold under many different brand names - or a copy which may lead to a quality issue!)

Using them was a true revelation - stripping wire is simple, fast and accurate - brilliant piece of kit I wish I had purchased years ago -  I have owned a few wire cutters/strippers - mainly cheap ones that where average to poor in usage which I used/use extensively in my other hobbies of amateur radio / electronics

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:24:41 am »

lidls had a set of wire strippers recently, I recall, at not too much money, I got a set and they do come in useful.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 11:59:09 am »

I have a set from Screwfix or Toolstation, they are !interesting"!

As C3P0 says not very useful to modellers unless you are doing a Lot of wire stripping.
NB: Not that good on small wires, needs quite a bit of 'fine tuning'.

But a great "fun" too but you may find you spend more time looking for it than using it!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:36 pm »

The wire strippers are good , my reason they can be used in confined space . You just grip so hand control is just that controlled, not a sudden movement when the insulation comes off . did not use crimps all connectors are or should be soldered .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 11:50:00 pm »

Apart from all my tools which I have built up over the many years of modelling, both hand and power tools which I use regularly, some on almost daily basis...............this little tool is probably one of my most useful and well used tools,,,,,,,,,,,,so much used, that I bought two of them, and had a 3rd given away free to me...........a mini tube/pipe cutter.

a simple thing...…...but so well used and irreplaceable.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:54:58 pm »

Quite agree Neil, those little tube cutters are really useful. I have a couple of small ones and a bigger one capable of dealing with 13mm copper pipe.
Another good value tool which comes in very handy is this guillotine.https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Proops-Multi-Angle-Craft-Hobby-Guillotine-Modellers-Miniaturist-C6035/1007610270?iid=292049339411&chn=ps

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.