Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new member looking for model suggestions  (Read 3673 times)

RipSlider

new member looking for model suggestions
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:27:40 pm »

Hello all.

Just found this forum after a long time looking for a model boating forum! Hurrah! Please be nice to me...

I wonder if I can cast around for suggestions for model idea's.

I'm looking for something that's got lot of wood construction, as I'm not great with Plasti-card, and don't enjoy using it. I don't mind if it's a a plan or a kit, although the plan needs to be fairly comprehensive, for example showing formers and their details rather than just hull lines.

Ideally, I'm looking for something a bit different. I saw the PCF abd PBR's in this months Model Boats, and really liked them. I also like the lines of the more modern life boats, fast patrol boats, some of the racing boats etc.

I guess I'd describe my modelling ability as "advanced beginner", although perhaps "advanced" should be changed to "enthusiastic"....
so what ever boat I go for isn't going to be a true scale. I'll get there in time, but not quite yet

Does anyone have any suggestions of plans or kits that might fit the bill above?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: new member looking for model suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:06:59 pm »

Glynn Guest's PT boat from Model Boats might be what you are looking for.  They have a website at http://www.modelboats.co.uk/ but seem to have lost/dumped the online shop where plans/back numbers were available.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 01:26:09 pm »

Glynn Guest's plans are available from http://www.myhobbystore.com/. There are lots of on there and, like Malcolm, I'd recommend them as a good introduction to scratch-building. If you can't find something suitable, earlier "out of print" stuff is available from http://www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/prod02.htm

Rick

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 01:36:24 pm »

How about this, a little retro but all wood and good first plan build. I got the plan off ebay, you are welcome to use it if you want.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:33:05 pm »

A quick look at myhobbystore showed a bit of a casual approach to types and illustrations.  First thing was a nice picture of a Liberty ship headed as a "Proprider".  I suspect that the database has been mangled and is uncorrected, so buying from them might be a bit of an adventure at the moment.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RipSlider

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:28:57 pm »

Thanks guys.

Having done a bit more reading over the weekend, I think that I definately want to go with either a PBR or PCF, both of them Vitenam river craft.

I've found plans for the PBR here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-12-Plans-for-Pibber-River-Patrol-Boat-PBR-mk2_W0QQitemZ130156031021QQihZ003QQcategoryZ19166QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And I found a kit ( but wood, not plasticard ) of a PCF here:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_pcf.html

Just wondering which you guys would consider a more fun/interesting model to build, baring in mine that I'm not the best builder in the world?

Which would you chaps do?

Thanks

Steve

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:46:55 pm »

:)  Hi Steve  if you check out the front page of Mayhem  Shows  open up and go to Doncaster  Northern Model show 2006 scroll down pictures you should find a semi scale A/T/C/H  and the Caldercraft  P/C/F.I think the P/C/F is the better looking model, one of my fellow club members has built  both the P/B/R and P/C/F. I will contact my fellow club member and see if he can send more pictures.

Stan  :)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:51:12 pm »

Hi Steve,
Like yourself, I am relatively new to this and have gotten back into the hobby through the Bismarck parts build which you may have
read about in this webpage.
The folks here have been most helpful and am now starting a Flower Class corvette.
I have dealt with Cornwall Modelboats for supplies and they ar very efficient and friendly.
The boat you are considering looks like a fine project.
I am also starting a 1/72 Vosper to do rc conversion,as both my other buils will take yonks and I'd like to get in the water by the New Year.
Always good to meet a neophyte builder who still shares the enthusiasm.
Drop a line and we can share horror stories.
Robert

RipSlider

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 05:07:24 pm »

Hello guys.

After a few phone calls, I've decided to make go for the PCF. Westbourne models, as ever, were really helpful and a big box of boat bits is now in the post ready to be hidden from the wife.

Cue a new thread looking for references and photo sources...

Thanks for the inputs gentlemen.

Steve

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 05:31:33 pm »

:)Hi Steve  see my last post ref shows will try to get you some pictures if possible of the P/C/F.

Stan  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.