Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Intrepid CVA-11 Essex Class Carrier  (Read 1526 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
U.S.S. Intrepid CVA-11 Essex Class Carrier
« on: November 24, 2018, 10:51:23 pm »

Dear Folks,  After much thought, I have decided that my next build will be the USS Intrepid CVA-11.  I just ordered Trumpeter's kit at 1/350 scale, which should yield a model 30" long.  I am choosing to model her as she appeared during the Vietnam conflict in the 60's and 70's.  The ship has a ton of history and well deserving this modeling effort.  She was one of the first with an angled deck and steam catapults for launching jet aircraft.  Since no 1/350 scale model of the USS Ranger CVA-61 can be found, this will nicely fill the gap until one does appear.  In the mean time, I am busy modeling an old balsa stick and tissue model of the Stearman PT-17 trainer a friend gave to me.  Its a fun diversion until I start the Intrepid project.  Just wanted to give you folks a heads up that I haven't dropped off the radar.  Best regards,  Dennis

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Intrepid CVA-11 Essex Class Carrier
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:44:21 am »

Look forward to watching your next build Dennis  :-)
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 03:44:38 pm »

Tks Rich, I just noticed that I posted the kit was Trumpeters, its not, its Gallery Models. Will be a first for me from that manufacturer.  Trying to keep my facts straight.  At this age, things get kinda blurry.  Dennis

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:14:54 pm »

Visited USS Intrepid a couple of years ago in New York Harbour. For those who don't know, she is permanently moored there ,along with a submarine, as an aircraft museum. Has a nice collection of post war aircraft on deck, along with a Space Shuttle and a Concorde on the pier alongside

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:31:19 pm »

Nice, I probably won't get a chance to visit her, but am sure there is a ton of info on the web about her.  I just love the look and am getting real excited about the build.  My kit is on its way, be here in a week or so.  Yahoo.  I've got to get smokin on this PT-17 Stearman biplane.  its in frame, top wing complete, bottom next.  Lots of fun as something different for a winter project.  Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.