Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW RELEASE FROM DEANS MARINE  (Read 2034 times)

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
NEW RELEASE FROM DEANS MARINE
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:38:45 pm »

Latest release to the Deans Marine range

KIT DETAILS          THE MODEL        Scale 1/24   length 995mm   beam  260mm   Release price £325.00 U K
 The hull of this model is moulded in lightweight glassfibre, with a moulded in rubbing strip that forms a seating for the 1MM LASER CUT PLASTIC  deck. The complete superstructure is a one piece detailed resin moulding and all deck structure parts are in laser cut 1mm H.I.P.S.  plastic. To complement this most attractive model a full set of fittings in cast metal and resin is included along with propeller shafts, tube and rudder   To assist in the construction a FULL SIZE PLAN is provided along with a complete set of comprehensive instructions, A c/d od all the picture taken during assembly of the prototype model plus a set of decals to give a colourful finished model.
 As in all of the Deans range, the on the water performance is outstanding.

THE HIGGINS 78' PT BOAT
Like the Elco's, Higgins 78' boats were periodically updated and reconfigured for the missions they were call upon to perform. These boats also took on a gun boat configuration, rather then their traditional torpedo role, because of the nature of wartime tactics in the Pacific. Many PT boats were given the tasks of harassing and controlling the enemy left behind on islands that were skipped over by the advancing allied forces. The PT boats became "Barge Busters" with their relentless attacks on enemy barges and boats used to supply and ferry the enemy from island to island. They were also called upon to support troop landings and rescues.
Higgins boats played a large roll in the Mediterranean Sea area combating enemy shipping. Including duels with German E-boats or S-Boats (Schnellbooten) and heavily armored and armed barges known as F-lighters.
During World War II, PT boats engaged enemy warships, transports, tankers, barges, and sampans. As gunboats they could be effective against enemy small craft, especially armored barges used by the Japanese for inter-island transport. Several saw service with the Philippine Navy, where they were named "Q-boats", most probably after President Manuel L. Quezon.[1]
Primary anti-ship armament was four 2,600 pound (1,179 kg) Mark 8 torpedoes. Launched by 21-inch Mark 18 (530 mm) torpedo tubes, each bore a 466-pound (211 kg) TNT warhead and had a range of 16,000 yards (14,630 m) at 36 knots (66 km/h). Two twin M2 .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns were mounted for anti-aircraft defense and general fire support. Some boats shipped a 20 mm Oerlikon cannon.
Propulsion was via a trio of Packard 4M-2500 and later 5M-2500 supercharged gasoline-fueled, liquid-cooled marine engines.
Nicknamed "the mosquito fleet" – and "devil boats" by the Japanese – the PT boat squadrons were heralded for their daring and earned a durable place in the public imagination that remains strong into the 21st century.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: NEW RELEASE FROM DEANS MARINE
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:22:44 am »

John Rix

.... while waiting for computers .... to do stuff!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »

... actually, I believe it's actually JonRix!

2nd video:

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 09:03:57 am »

Looks great!!! :-)) O0 :-)) Thanks for sharing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.