Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell car kits  (Read 9029 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Revell car kits
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 08:24:43 pm »

That is pretty darn good Joe. The silver has been applied well. Is the boot interior velveteen, or in a very matt cast plastic to create a carpeted look?
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 10:58:20 am »

Thanks Ian,  the boot is just painted with grey acrylic matt there is no texture on the plastic, but I know what you mean, I thought the same as you when I first saw the photo maybe it's an effect of being in shadow.

Joe.  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 12:07:05 pm »

Well look what's just tuned up, one of the birthday prezzies from SWMBO, a T3 Camper she said she thought it may be a bit nostalgic, we had a T2 Camper in the 90's that I gutted and refitted and fitted a high top we had so much fun in that thing, she said she couldn't  get a T2 Camper so hoped this T3 would be OK, Hell yes, bless her, she could only find a T2 in a Samba Bus split screen, I said I could always fit it out as a Camper, maybe Christmas.  O0

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 09:09:25 pm »

Will you customise it or build it from the kit? I imagine you getting imaginative with ideas from your real life Caper?

(I meant camper, but maybe I actually meant Caper!)
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 11:27:42 am »

I think I'll build this T3 as it's meant to be and if / when I get the T2 Samba Bus, I'll attempt to omit the bus seats and fit it out similar to how I fitted out our old T2 Camper though it won't be quite the same as our side door was on the left and the Samba Bus is on the right, I'll use this T3 build to see what's possible.
It's twenty three years since we had the old T2 so Caper may well be the right word  %% {-) {-)

Joe

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 01:36:07 pm »

Loving the corvette, love the rich red interior

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »

Thanks Ken, 

Just to correct my last post the split screen Samba Bus should be of coarse a T1, our old camper was a T2 but converting a Samba Bus to a Camper should be fun the kit I have now is 1:25 there is a T1 in 1:16 that I think may be easier to convert, I dropped a few hints to the boss.  ;)

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 06:49:47 pm »

Crikey! Imagine the detail you could get into a model of that scale! With some soldering and model engineering, you could even make the roof lift and lower  O0
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »

Well food for thought there Ian, the 1:16 scale is around 275mm long so should give room for some scope, I thought styrene sheet would do for most of the furniture, then there's the sink and drainer, maybe from a dolls house hobby site, I think I could make something resembling a cooker hob.   :-))

Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:44 pm »

You would be in the best position to recall what sort of washing/kitchen systems your van had and find the right products from dolls house shops. Given that 1:16th is a resurgent dolls hose scale, you will have some luck at finding stuff. I found this site while looking for Dolls house scales: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/dolls-house-and-miniatures-scale-2365457

They mention Brinca Dada as a supplier.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 06:28:54 pm »

Thanks for that Ian,  when we got our old T2 camper it was quite a simple fit out called a " Devon " it had one unit with a one piece s/s top incorporating a hob/sink/drainer,  making up the bed each night was quite a job, then I gutted it out and refitted it with lots of cupboards a two way fridge, and I reused the original s/s top, I bought what is called a rock and roll seat/bed mechanism and after much head scratching got it fitted right so all you had to do a bed time was to pull the seat out and it popped into a bed, like most projects of this nature it snow balled and I spent £700 and took the van to Birmingham to have a high top fitted in place of the popup roof,  I won't be doing that in the 1:16 model but I fitted a swing up lid/top over the sink/hob unit so I could always do that in the model if I don't find a sink etc.  :-))

Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 09:24:16 pm »

That was a lot of money then  %% All I would say with dolls house stuff is that it can be a bit chunky bordering on toy like in some cases so do have a look at some pictures before ordering to avoid disappointment and the 'I could have made that myself ten times better' feeling, which I am sure you could Joe. If you cannot get a decent sink/drainer then you could make a plug and vacform one out of styrene!
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2018, 04:10:05 pm »

I've been pottering about with the T3 Camper kit for a few days and it's up to Revells usual standard of good detail and fit, although I will say the odd nip and tuck with a scalpel dose not go amiss but all in all I'd say value for money especially when it'd been bought for you  ok2 , here's a few pics of it so far, I was going to leave the bodywork the natural colour of the mouldings but decided it just didn't look right so I used some Halfords appliance white spray that I had a half can of.

Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2018, 04:24:45 pm »

I love the weathering and wood effect Joe! Even if it is just making the most of the moulded detail, it is still top notch  :-)) I cannot think of an occasion (albeit rare) where I have seen a good result from using the original plastic colour as there can be blemishes in the plastic from casting, and there s always the risk that there are dimples or other things that need attention which will ruin the finish.

I'm looking forward to your next instalment.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 06:24:39 pm »

Cheers Ian, the original moulding colour/finish on the bodywork was really quite good which is why I thought of leaving it but after some thought it did look like a sort of non colour if you know what I mean, now the gloss white looks pretty good, now I have to decide whether to model it as road going or on site camper with roof up and tail gate open, the side door is closable, I'll probably do the latter as it will spend all of it's time parked in a display cabinet.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »

Well here is the finished T3, very enjoyable kit to build, so glad I decided to paint the main bodywork though not perfect by any means, IMO large rattle cans are a bit heavy on the spray for this scale an airbrush would no doubt be much better something I've never gotten into and I can't see me doing enough spray painting to warrant it now but I'm fairly pleased with the result.

Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2018, 04:07:39 pm »

She looks pretty good to me Joe. She is not very accurate as many I have seen have some rust about them!!!!!!

Only kidding  :embarrassed: You have  T1 to do in the future assuming SWMBO takes your pressie hint!
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 02:09:43 pm »

Well look what Santa bought, My T1 Samba Bus and in 1:16 scale so a good size to work on as said I may attempt to omit some seating and fit out as a basic camper van maybe a simple Devon fitout as it's only got a sun roof, but I have a few sheets of styrene left from boat building so may also attempt a popup roof.

Joe.   Happy new year to all ay Mayhem :-))

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 02:42:48 pm »

Nice 'Vette! - I like the C1 corvettes - although I prefer the revised 61-63 rear end with the 4 round lights.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 06:38:05 pm »

I've got a number of Revell 1/24 car kits too, as well as some from other manufacturers. Right now I'm in the middle of building a Revell 2009 GT350 Mustang that hopefully will be a miniature version of my son-in-law's car.

He doesn't know about it yet, it's all a big plot on the part of my daughter and me.  :-) :}
Regards
Kit

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2019, 07:34:19 pm »

Hi Kit    I think whatever the year the Mustang is an iconic car, I very nearly bought one at an auction back in the late seventies till I noticed it was the 7 litre version and common sense kicked in.

it should be a nice surprise for your son-in-law.    :-))

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:15 pm »

Think how much it would be worth now though Joe! No worries, if we all saved our toy cars, Ming vases and cars that would become classic, then the planet would be three feet deep in 'stuff' and not worth owt.

Looking forward to see the Camper being 'Devonised' Give the pop up roof a go, if you can build beautiful warships that look real until you really - really look, a pop up roof will be a doddle. Your ships show you do a lot of careful looking, so you know that some research will make your roof a success.
Pond weed is your enemy

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 10:41:18 pm »

it should be a nice surprise for your son-in-law.    :-))

I hope so too. We had the devil of a job getting him out of the way before I took a bunch of pics of the car to ensure I got the various colours right. It's a black car but the interior trim is a pale beige, for crying out load! 

I can just imagine what the fuel consumption would have been on that 427 Mustang, a single figure average most likely!  :((
Regards
Kit
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.