Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Resin Casting Materials \ Kit  (Read 3405 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
DIY Resin Casting Materials \ Kit
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:05:35 am »

I want to reproduce some part like 1\72 scale sized lockers for my own use. Making a number out of plasticard is rather tedious and they never all end up the same size.
So I got to thinking about casting my own out of resin. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced resin casting kit or, suitable casting resin? TIA

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: DIY Resin Casting Materials \ Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:40:35 am »

Most of the suppliers use the same resin etc. I got my last kit from a firm called MB Fibreglass and moulding supplies on Amazon for £25.00 and there have been no problems.The Silicone is the cheaper condensation cure type but it de-gasses without a problem and is very stable when cured.
 :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:08:50 am »

I want to reproduce some part like 1\72 scale sized lockers for my own use. Making a number out of plasticard is rather tedious and they never all end up the same size.
So I got to thinking about casting my own out of resin. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced resin casting kit or, suitable casting resin? TIA

I always buy m stuff from  CFS resins....excellent and very quick service...…..I use polyurethane fast cast resin....you have to be quick but it doesn't shatter, is carveable, unlike polyester resin, and doesn't bubble or retain air holes like polyester resin does.

https://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Standard_Fastcast.html

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:17:08 am »

however, you will need room temperature vulcanising rubber [RTV] and for ease some lego bricks for moulding boxes, and it could be very expensive to set yourself up if you only want a few fittings.in such a case, you might be better looking to see if macs mouldings or deans marine can sell you some.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:14:58 am »

I sent Mark at MMB a small lifeboat master for him to make the rubber moulds & cast 10 of them for me, he only charged me £10 for the rubber moulds + the cost of 10 lifeboats..

Paul..

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:38:07 am »

Thanks for the suggestions all.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:27:08 pm »

I've always bought my casting materials from here: http://tiranti.co.uk/
If you can get to either of the shops, the staff are both knowledgeable and helpful.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 06:44:31 pm »

I've always bought my casting materials from here: http://tiranti.co.uk/
If you can get to either of the shops, the staff are both knowledgeable and helpful.

totally agree there, phil...……...just a lot dearer than other outlets...…..their rubber in bulk is about 110% dearer than others advertised on ebay……..used Tiranti's for years......bought my centricast system off them...………...excellent service though.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 07:57:58 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 09:37:53 pm »

there was a re-usable RV moulding rubber compound that I used once it looked a great
idea, in that when it was finished with it you could re-heat it  and it could be poured in to
the next shape.

unfortunately it soon lost its detail as the resin setting soon disfigured the corners and details  <:(

so I would advise its best avoid that product if you see it  :-))

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 10:12:52 am »

totally agree there, phil...……...just a lot dearer than other outlets...…..their rubber in bulk is about 110% dearer than others advertised on ebay……..used Tiranti's for years......bought my centricast system off them...………...excellent service though.
It depends on whether you consider the advice valuable. If cost is the only consideration then buy from eBay and do all the research yourself.  For the tiny amounts most of us are likely to use, the difference isn't going to be that great and the saving by not making so many mistakes can compensate.

Customer service from experienced staff costs money.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:35:07 am »

It depends on whether you consider the advice valuable. If cost is the only consideration then buy from eBay and do all the research yourself.  For the tiny amounts most of us are likely to use, the difference isn't going to be that great and the saving by not making so many mistakes can compensate.

Customer service from experienced staff costs money.

yes I agree regarding advice from experienced staff but when you are buying your rubber in 10kilo X 3 barrels at a time for a new development, that 110% on each barrel adds up, and even at small amounts it all mounts up.

And Tiranti's are always willing to give advice whether you buy from them or not :-))

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:14 am »

And Tiranti's are always willing to give advice whether you buy from them or not :-))
And if they spend all their time giving advice and not selling anything they will go bust. Which is why so many other shops employ staff who know nothing - why bother when it's a cost?

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 02:24:49 pm »

On resin, there are 2 types polyester and polyeurethane.
Polyester is the resin used with fibreglass and is smelly and brittle. Polyurethane has almost no odour, has lower viscosity(so fills the mould easier), sets quicker and is less brittle.

I recently bought some silicon rubber from this e-bay shop. They sell smaller quanties than firms like Tiranti's which is uesful as silicon rubber has a limited shelflife. They have exellent customer service -https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/PDW-Creative-Materials?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 08:21:18 pm »

'Clean up on Aisle one!'   :police:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 08:29:21 pm »

....Yes, occasionally needed Martin  :-)) ..[reading between the lines.......twas just a little spilled ice-cream & popcorn? :P ] .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.