Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QE-2 (ammendments)  (Read 2981 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
QE-2 (ammendments)
« on: September 23, 2007, 05:53:47 pm »

Although I have seen QE2 many times in all parts of the world it was only last weekend that I had the chance to see her close-up.
A couple of queries about her that may interest some. Is the superstructure steel or aluminium? I ask this because although she is a welded ship, the joint between the sheerstrake and the superstructure is rivetted.
Secondly....and more importantly...has she ever been reported as having a "cracking" problem? In the enclosed pic you can see what we used to call an "Insurance Strap" ("HMS Antelope" and siblings had a similar thing). Also, although not well defined, some large windows have been plated over. To me (could be wrong) this all indicates a stress fracture that had to be eradicated.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: QE-2 (ammendments)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:17:13 pm »

Bryan, The superstructure above the portholes is aluminium alloy. The strake you can see below the Cunard sign is the bi metallic joint which isolates the superstructure from the steel hull to prevent galvanic corrosion. The lower row of large windows is a subsequent addition. These originally started further aft and there were portholes in the position now occupied by the forward lower large windows. The ship has been extensively modified over the last 40 years and much of the interior has been rebuilt so there will probably be some evidence of this on the outside.

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:34:30 pm »

That's about it Colin, the lower hull is steel and the upper superstructure is aluminium.  The joint between the two is, as you say designed to insulate the two and prevent galvanic action although it is nothing more sophisticated than a jubber joint and the rivets are fitted with insulating sleeves. 

There has been significant deterioration of this jointn over the years and most dry docks include a section of it being replaced.

As for cracks, there have been some cracking issues in the past, particularly around the joint as the two differrent metals not only have quite differrent electrolytic characteristics but they also differ physically.  One of the problems with aluminium is that it work hardens so when subjected to stress reversals as in a ships structure the metal can become considerabkly harder than the steel and therefore less flexible.  The continued flexing of the hull has then occassionally caused cracks to form.

Interestingly enough if you stand at the aft end of a large enough ship in a heavy sea you can see the flexing of the hull quite clearly.  I remember one ship particularly where you could line up a row of container supports and watch the waves actually progress through the length of the hull.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:29:50 pm »

What was the name of the super-tanker that was built in Japan or Korea looking like a banana?  I think it had to be scrapped??

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:55:51 pm »

Bryan, The superstructure above the portholes is aluminium alloy. The strake you can see below the Cunard sign is the bi metallic joint which isolates the superstructure from the steel hull to prevent galvanic corrosion. The lower row of large windows is a subsequent addition. These originally started further aft and there were portholes in the position now occupied by the forward lower large windows. The ship has been extensively modified over the last 40 years and much of the interior has been rebuilt so there will probably be some evidence of this on the outside.

Colin
Nice response. Thanks. But why the big "strap" ? I still think she must have cracked somewhere down the line.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:04:27 pm »

It doesn't seem to be an original feature so I expect you are right Bryan.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:40:29 am »

The strap is the rubber joint, arranged as such so that it can be replaced.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 09:53:47 am »

Bunkerbarge, I has assumed that Bryan was referring to the upper horizontal "strap" between the two rows of big windows and one deck above the bi metallic joint. I couldn't see it on original pictures of the ship and of course the lower row of big windows have been extended forward since she was built. I seem to remember that she was originally fitted with a forward observation lounge below the bridge but that is was converted to something else during her career which I imagine required some internal structural alteration. You are familiar with the ship - can you shed any further light on it?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 12:49:07 pm »

Colin
Nice response. Thanks. But why the big "strap" ? I still think she must have cracked somewhere down the line.

In 40 years of service, any ship will have picked up its fair share of knocks, dents and scrapes, the QE2 also had a chunk of hull gouged out of her when she ran aground off the states a few years back.

As for the refits, a cruiseliner will probably be refitted every few years to keep her looking stylish and to make her more attractive among newer competitors, as in the cruse ship industry, looks and style are pretty much everything, you wouldnt book a cruise in a rusty old tub, would you?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 02:09:23 pm »

Bunkerbarge, I has assumed that Bryan was referring to the upper horizontal "strap" between the two rows of big windows and one deck above the bi metallic joint. I couldn't see it on original pictures of the ship and of course the lower row of big windows have been extended forward since she was built. I seem to remember that she was originally fitted with a forward observation lounge below the bridge but that is was converted to something else during her career which I imagine required some internal structural alteration. You are familiar with the ship - can you shed any further light on it?

Ah ha, I'm with you and I suspect that you could be correct and that it may well be as a result of cracking of the Aluminium structure in the past however the strap that you refer to is at the level of a bar area and above the main galley where modifications have been made in the past and may well be a stiffening required to support such modifications.  It is interesting to note that this strap is on both sides of the ship.

The row of forward facing ports is the Officers wardroom, how they managed to keep hold of that for 40 years and not see it turned over to penthouses is beyond me!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 07:27:41 pm »

:)Hi Bunkerbarge

Are you missing your Sunday Mornings? I did not get there myself  today told was a good turn out, will send some pics from Deans open weekend mainly of the flat top. ;)

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.