Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jump straight in or take it in steps - any thoughts?  (Read 1350 times)

SteveJo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Jump straight in or take it in steps - any thoughts?
« on: December 03, 2018, 01:44:26 pm »

New to the forum - you all make it an amazing resource.

I'm contemplating building a steam launch from a kit - The Krick Alexandra looks good - I'd use the Krick Alex 2 Steam plant for this first model.

I've built a static ship in the past - loved the woodwork hated the rigging - and built a simple steam engine from an unmachined sussex steam kit (not something I'm keen on doing again) so have some modelling experience.

So do I jump straight in or perhaps gain some proper boating experience first - two possible paths come to mind
1.  Build something like an Aeronaut Classic Speedboat electric kit - practice the woodwork skills, minimise spend and get to water in a reasonable time
2. Build the Krick Anna kit - again good to practise woodworking on but this time with steam and can redeploy steam plant into Alexandra in future - much more expensive than option 1.

I'd like to make the Alexandra to a reasonable standard (there's some amazing builds on here - I'd be satisfied with 'good enough') and want to maximise my chances of achieving that.

Any thoughts before I wave the credit card around.

Thanks

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Jump straight in or take it in steps - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 02:15:48 pm »

If you want to build a straightforward model to get on the water quickly, by all means start with that. Good practice. But don't feel you have to if your heart is set on the Alexandra. If that's really the boat you want, go for it. You have already got the basics, and building a quality kit is, I suspect, well within your ability. You don't want to be building a boat while thinking all the time "I wish this was the Alexandra".  And there's always Mayhem for advice and encouragement! 

Have fun!

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:44:33 pm »

Welcome to the forum  :-)   Greg gives some good advice there it all depends on whether you want to get on the water quickly.  Personally I’m an in at the deep end kind of person so just have a go at building what you want.  I’m currently building my first steam boat and I’ve had so much help and advice and made some great friends too.  The help is here that’s for sure and I couldn’t have built my steam plant without this amazing help  :-))   Just go for it!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 02:19:21 am »

If you have built static models, I am guessing you already have the skills required. :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteveJo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:10:14 pm »

Thanks - has helped clarify the real decision - to get to water quickly or not - i'll be happy building anything.

Will have to see if Father Christmas can take hints  :-)

Cheers

[size=78%] [/size]

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.