Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humble beginnings  (Read 1667 times)

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
Humble beginnings
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:27:58 pm »

Good day all,

Long time ambition has been to get into model steam engines. Nothing doing for years while I got together the wherewithall to make something. After a couple of false starts I settled on the River Queen launch engine. Now I have been in engineering for !! years (censored to due extreme age) and I'm still trying to figure out how anybody could put this forward as a beginners project ! However, persevered and (having made almost everything twice) would like to post the results of my first effort here for your amusement. Still a bit of finishing off to do: have to attack the connecting rod (too wide and fouling on the bottom of the cylinder), shim the valve and to install the plumbing. I believe the valve has been a bit of an enigma in the past: I will be pleased to share the results my efforts in this respect within the next couple of weeks.

cheers John Kearsley

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Humble beginnings
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:13:42 pm »

Coming along nicely! Keep us posted, and good luck.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:12 pm »

Nice work. Is your engine going to be put in a boat?

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 12:42:43 pm »

Since you mention it . . .

Also many years ago, my very first model boat build was going to be the Bowman type steam launch "Celia May"  (Traplet plan 1429). I sent off for the plan AND the vac-moulded hull kit (cost thirty quid then - plus postage to South Africa). To say I was disappointed with the hull kit would be the understatement of the year. So it got sidelined while I went on to RC sailboats. Back to today. The plans for Celia May suggested the Unit steam engine. At first it seemed to me that the River Queen was quite a bit bigger until I put them side by side. Much the same size, but the C of G of the River Queen must be quite a bit lower. So it looks like Celia May may have her day and the River Queen may have a home on the water (assuming I can get her to run).

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:47:35 pm »

Meant to add picture -
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.