Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Flying Spindrift"  (Read 2507 times)

georged

"Flying Spindrift"
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:38:24 pm »

Good day gents,

I am just starting my first build, named above (Tyne Models), and have tackled the mounting of the mounting of the steering kort nozzles first. I have a cd showing various stages of the build which illustrates the support plate fastened to the outside of the hull by clear resin, which is a permanent job. Instead, I was thinking of drilling the plate (white metal with pewter) & fastening with for'd & aft countersunk M4 bolts, with washers & nuts inside the hull. Is that a good idea, or not? I have offered up the castings, only to realise that the whole weight of the kort nozzle & prop. must be supported from inside the hull by the tiller arm, which is not supplied. The central steering post is 6mm diameter, and nowhere can I find a 6mm dia. tiller arm on the internet. Also, if that tiller arm ever came loose, the whole lot would drop, and some very expensive damage would ensue. Does it make sense to drill the soft metal nozzle steering  post above the tiller arm, and fit a split pin as a belt & braces tactic, or does that sound daft? I have jumped in at the deep end here and would appreciate some advice. I attempted a transfer of photo of the kort nozzle, but failed due to lack of I.T. knowledge, but I believe I can attach to an e-mail if necessary,

Sand Dancer. 

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: "Flying Spindrift"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:53:34 pm »

I have done it in a similar way but the reason I did it is so I can change rudder quickly as I have a few different types I want to try and I have a set of scale ones for display

Peter

georged

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:57:11 pm »

thanks Peter, that's encouraging, but these are very early days. I think I may need to make the tiller arms myself, unless there are some hiding out there for 6mm shafts,

George

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:15:39 pm »

Try Deans they have a good selection or MMM the mmm ones will have to be opened up or the 8mm tubed down this may help you use a split pin

peter

http://deansmarine.co.uk/order1/accp/accp.htm

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/PDF/Korts.pdf

There are other suppliers.

titan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:03:29 am »

Hi Sandancer your quiet write if you bolt the base plate and the shaft support through the hull makes a much more solid job but be carfull lining up the prop & kort nozzle, Be patient and you will fiend it a very rewarding build as i did all the best and happy building

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:22:19 pm »

Hi

I have just moved home and just got back on line, I have just read your post. The support plate is fastened on the inside of the hull with clear resin for extra strength and there is a pin thro the solid white metal post, the tiller arms are 4mm drilled out to 6mm

chipchase

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 01:44:03 pm »

thanks Peter, that's encouraging, but these are very early days. I think I may need to make the tiller arms myself, unless there are some hiding out there for 6mm shafts,

George
John [bluebird] makes his own tiller arms , see here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6319.msg62438#msg62438

O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.