Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Wood Care:

Sanders

(1/2) > >>

dreadnought72:
I need to up my sanding tools!

I'm looking at disc sanders (which would be used lots) and oscillating bobbin sanders (which I probably can't justify: it'd be very much one of those once-a-year tools).

There are, however bobbin and belt sander combos out there. Would I, oh esteemed purveyors of mayhemic knowledge, be better off with a disc sander only, or rely on one of these combis to cover both roles?

Do you have any preferred makes/models?

Andy

Buccaneer:
Hello Andy

I have been woodcarving for 25 years and model boating for about 12 and so far have not seen a need for a Bobbin Sander. I would suggest a combined Belt and Disc sander. I have a large one in the garage with a 10" Disc and 4" belt but this very much for heavy duty stuff. In my small workshop I have one with a 1" Belt and 4" Disc and this gets a lot of use on the boats. I would suggest this is a good starting point. Try Machine Mart who have one for £83.98 inc Vat. This is by Clarke, and I have no qualms about the quality of anything I have bought from Machine Mart. Also worth a look at Axminster Tools and Machinery who have a similar model for £79.96.

John

dreadnought72:
Thanks John, perfect answer!  :-))

Andy

dreadnought72:
Axminster wins! Their AW130BD2 turned up today with a couple of spare belts and discs. I think it will fit in the shed nicely.

I am a happy bunny. Full marks to Axminster for such a prompt order, and an early Merry Christmas to you all!

...It'll be used later today.

Andy

Buccaneer:
Hello Andy

That looks like the latest version of the Axminster sander I bought "quite a few years ago". The small belt is ideal for even the smallest boat pieces, but watch your fingernails! Should be a good buy.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version