Mess Deck: General Section > Model Boating

Pillar Drill Recommendations

(1/7) > >>

Charlie:
I'm looking to buy a Pillar Drill, with a budget of £100. So far this one is looking favourite. Does anyone have any advice about what features are essential/nice to have?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cdp5eb-5-speed-bench-mounted-pillar-dri/

Taranis:
What can I say Charlie
Looks the business for a great price. I have something similar but not as quality looking.
 :-))  gets my vote

Not sure about the chuck though as with mine too. See if it will hold 1mm bits or less

Taranis:
A search just spotted this. 1.5mm bits upwards. Looks very neat cheaper and more powerful too https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-500w-bench-drill/p/097015233422100?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoo7gBRDuARIsANeJKUY4dgnNw2FU6LSW31dmZJjJfLP399pg60P37DS32R6RZ-eHHWCPXtoaAtlTEALw_wcB&gclsrc= 

Edit not sure but I think I prefer your original to this.The workzone brand always puts me off

Neil:

I have the earlier model of that drill, Charlie....

it has done stirling work for the last 25 years without any problem, what so ever....it has good gearing for slow precise drop and positioning, and the drill offers precise movement without any waver or vibration at all.

the only criticism I have of mine which as I said is an earlier model …..it's noisy.....can't hear my radio or tv when it is running...…

and although I have never changed the running speed as it is set up for slow metal drilling, is that you can alter the speed on mine if yopu wish for faster work,

hope this helps but for that price, you can't go far wrong.a good beafy pillar drill offering unbustable long service.

cos918:
Hi Charlie
I have an older version of the Machin mart drill. Never had any problems. For very small drill bits stick them in a pin vice and put that in a Chuck . THe Aldi one looks very good. Both Aldi and Lidl sell poweres tools that are good in quality for the price. I think Lidl have the edge .
Whith all these drill they are ok for hobbys. But if you are going to be doing big stuff then they have there limits

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version