Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krick aka Robbe Dusseldorf Fireboat  (Read 2326 times)

Ship Worm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Krick aka Robbe Dusseldorf Fireboat
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:13:17 am »

Just decided to go mad and start a build of this model for a winter project. Wondered if anyone else has recently taken the plunge. Its an expensive kit but then many complicated kits are these days. it is a fascinating challenge, not because of the complex nature of lots of features but because of their extensive use of ABS mouldings and sheet, which needs a 'very' expensive two part adhesive to stick it together, (around £60 worth!). Another fascinating feature is the mangled English translation of the instructions, whenever did a 'prop shaft tunnel' become 'corrugated trousers' or 'fuselage shaft trousers', and there are many others just as funny. The various parts are all bagged up but with no reference so that everything has to be referred back to the plan for a number, then look up the parts list to find the dimensions and possible material. It would have been so much more satisfying if they had taken the trouble to label everything properly - or am I being too fussy?
Having said all that it is a satisfying and challenging model to build, and I am looking forward to sailing her in 2019.
I may be getting older - but I refuse to grow up!

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Krick aka Robbe Dusseldorf Fireboat
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:26:23 am »

Hi built this kit over the winter of 2016/17 used plas weld for abs to abs wood to abs I used milliput and most other things I used different thicknesses of superglue probably cost me 15 quid hope this helps you Bill....

Ship Worm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 03:58:54 pm »

Thanks for that, must admit I am getting through a lot of superglue already. I used the Stabilt Express glue when I built a Robbe submarine a few years ago but it seems harder to get now. Where I want a lot of strength I have used the Fusion glue but that is no where near as practical to use and is a silly price £13/£18 for a 75g kit.
I may be getting older - but I refuse to grow up!

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:33:31 pm »

I hope you are going to do a log as I would enjoy following along ok2 I was a massive fan of some of the Robbe kits when they were readily available but I didn't have the earning power to afford them and the associated multi function radio equipment at that time.I am glad krick has taken over and hopefully relaunching a good few of these kits.The biggest improvement is the laser cut ABS sheets.The diecuting Robbe used never went all the way through and tended to put permanent distortion in the sheets.
I have purchased the  rereleased Happy Hunter and have this waiting in the wings and do also like the Dusseldorf but I will hang around on the off chance the Berlin is rereleased.One thing is for certain if it is,it won't be cheap.

Whilst Cornwall model boats now list Stabilit express,I get mine from Germany via Ebay.I can't get on with fusion,it works,but has a granular consistency when mixed and I can't seem to be able to get a neat result.

Regards

Nigel

Cashrc

• Shipmate
  • Why is my boat smoking?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 03:25:07 am »

I’m building a Robbe (Krick Ro-Marin) Neptun tug right now. Don’t know if it’s the same glue, but I tried an acrylic epoxy a few years ago that went by the trade name of Fusion. It mixed up yellow, had a consistency of wet cornmeal, and stunk to high heaven. Don’t like it. I have a little of the Stabilit Express stashed away, but I’ve been using filled epoxy on my ABS builds and have had no problems. I’ve built 3 Graupner Micro Magic yachts, an old Robbe San Remo, and now this Neptun, and have had no issues with the epoxy bonding. One of the Micro Magic’s keel ox was built with the Fusion, the other 2 with the filled epoxy, no leaks from any. However, you do have to lightly “scuff” the mating surfaces with a fine sandpaper to get a good bond.
Cash
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.