Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Detail Work, Rigging, Fittings, Figures Etc.

Help please - how do I make a mouse (for rigging)

(1/2) > >>

SteveJo:
Trying to finish a Caldercraft Mortar Vessel Convulsion kit - basically no instructions for the rigging.

Plan sheet 5 of 7 shows a 'mouse' on a stay but gives no ideas how to make one - there's no mouse on the parts list

Any ideas on how to make a mouse - 'good enough' is good enough

Thanks

dreadnought72:
At that scale I think I'd simply wrap thread around the stay, pva'd as you go, until you get to the shape you want. Thread the same colour as your stay rope.

Andy

SailorGreg:
At full scale, the mouse was often a piece of rope work that formed a big bulge, a bit like a monkey's fist, probably around a solid core of wood or other material.  For modelling, a big knot would suffice, unless you want to be particularly keen and try some fancy ropework at 1:64 scale? No, me neither!  You could try one of these.
Greg

SteveJo:
Thanks for quick replies.

I don’t seem to have the skill to wrap one thread around another and get any kind of neat result.  Tried and got something close after a few goes and then cut the stay off instead of the mouse end  :((   Ho hum.

Anyway drilled, shaped and painted a little bit of dowel, it’s good enough.

Thanks again

Arrow5:
Would a very small glass bead work ? Craft shops usually have a selection of sizes. Try Hobbycraft or similar.   I used hundreds to simulate rivets on my large scale HMS Invincible funnels, only to find later that said funnels were welded  >>:-(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version