Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conned Again - damn those Chinese!  (Read 3921 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Conned Again - damn those Chinese!
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:52:48 am »

:} :} So I order some solder paste from Ebay, taking care that it states from a UK seller and the location given was Milton Keynes. On making the payment the confirmation mail then states, item to be delivered in 20 to 30 working days, location is given as Hong Kong.

The usual schpiel of wait 40 days and if item not received contact us for replacement or refund..... OK so I already knew what was coming, I've had it happen 3 times before. Item does not appear and a refund is given when you mail them. It's just annoying that some outlets operate like this, they gain nothing as they haven't made a sale and give a refund, I've had it explained why they do it - all to do with Chinese financial support to small businesses, but it does nothing for customer relations.
Its not even worth complaining to Ebay - I have done in the past, but nothing happens, they don't even acknowledge the complaint and the company keeps on trading.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Conned Again - damn those Chinese!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:13:14 pm »

You'll just have to Solder on ;D

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:31:10 pm »

although expensive, i'd go to rapid electronics. you WILL get what you pay for.

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:49:20 pm »

Get your own back Indian takeaway tonight! :-))
badly raised and ill mannered.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:52:45 pm »

Brian

When this happens to me, even if I receive the goods, I put a comment in the Feedback so that others can see that the goods are not in the UK. Don't suppose it does much good, but it's my protest.

Barrie

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 04:28:24 pm »

I know what you mean Brian as the exact same thing has happened to me twice last month.  You order something in good faith and then the country of origin changes.  I've never complained I've just always waited and put it down to experience  - yet again

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:30:09 pm »

The annoying part is the wait for 30 to 40 days that they ask for before complaining to them. That is 30 to 40 days of sitting waiting for a product which you may have been in need of, fortunately in my case it was only to increase my dwindling stock. They dislike complaints and give an immediate refund, the reason is it gets marked as a sale in their paperwork . So many sales in a month and they get the support grant from government, shame nobody from 'government' checks their refunds to unsatisfied customers! Thats the only thing that will make these sellers change.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:43:13 pm »

I usually reckon to check the delivery times. If it is more than a week I usually assume its coming from China, even if its says UK. I think this is where Ebay need to tighten up. Was caught out last week as the delivery date looked like the UK, but it came from China and was late. I believe in this case and you mark them as one star for delivery time Ebay may take action if it happens enough.

Barrie

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:43:25 pm »

I find I am not buying from Ebay so much these days.. My first search is to Google it and buy direct from a UK supplier.    This is after an experience of buying some convector heaters which both stopped working after a few weeks . They had all the electrical conformity labels you would expect but were rubbish. I got my money back and skipped them, the supplier did not want them back.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

robbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Time flies like an arrow;fruit flies like a banana
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 10:38:25 pm »

When buying items from eBay sellers that claim to be UK based I always check the 'Business Seller Information' at the bottom of the item page as the sellers true location and details will be shown there, clicking on the 'Complete information' arrow will reveal more contact information. It's astounding that so many that claim to be in Birmingham or Croydon are actually in Hong Kong or Shenzen,China.
Robbob.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 12:01:43 am »

You need not go to China to be strung along. I orders a diode from Farrell They sent me a email giving November as delivery it did not turn up . Know I get emails and the delivery date is pushed on to FEB saying thankful for your custom and we are  working with
owner supplier for a early delivery(all for 10 pence ) , I did order some other stuff that came within 2 days ( I have had one given by a club members project was finished  )
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 12:38:08 am »

I cant understand why products take so long to be delivered in the UK. even way down here in the downunder items would usually be here in a week or two regardless of where they come from. although I have ordered parts from nz and aussie at the same time and aussie parts were here first.  :D

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 03:44:53 am »

@robbob, good tip. :-))

Not a defense, but sometimes the seller is UK based. The seller buys to order from China, and then has it shipped direct to you, or shipped to them and they forward it. This may well be why Ebay are unable/unwilling to act in some cases.

We have the same thing, only worse, in the small print on the page it says that it will be shipped from the USA but if there is any import duties, you are responsible and the cost will be added. There are Chinese students overseas who send stuff home to facilitate this market, but if the package gets stopped by customs, duty is added.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:30 am »

Got to say it's not only the Chinese though. I ordered some scroll saw blades while I was back in the UK. Delivery time given was 2 days later, well in time for my return to  Spain, they were coming from Halifax just 70 miles away. So I'm back in Spain without them but a helpful email arrives to say they have been dispatched 9 days after original quoted delivery! This was from a reputable British tool supplier as well. I will leave poor feedback, but as yet they have still not arrived at my son's home!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 08:28:27 pm »

:} :} So I order some solder paste from Ebay, taking care that it states from a UK seller and the location given was Milton Keynes. On making the payment the confirmation mail then states, item to be delivered in 20 to 30 working days, location is given as Hong Kong.

The usual schpiel of wait 40 days and if item not received contact us for replacement or refund..... OK so I already knew what was coming, I've had it happen 3 times before. Item does not appear and a refund is given when you mail them. It's just annoying that some outlets operate like this, they gain nothing as they haven't made a sale and give a refund, I've had it explained why they do it - all to do with Chinese financial support to small businesses, but it does nothing for customer relations.
Its not even worth complaining to Ebay - I have done in the past, but nothing happens, they don't even acknowledge the complaint and the company keeps on trading.
Yep, sadly it is a trick of the UK Government to give China a developing country status and nothing to do with EBay policy. It means Chinese businesses are exempt from UK Trade tariffs to a greater degree if they register for UK VAT although goodness knows how HMG gets VAT off them.
There are so many of these Chinese companies trading on Fleabays as UK businesses it is quite difficult to keep track. You have to both check the estimated delivery time and their specific business address which is usually hidden near the bottom of the opened listing.
It is a pain to have to do this for every transaction to make sure you are not caught out. Even some of those who say they have 'UK stock' are in China. I dont have a problem buying Chinese goods or waiting if I know in advance. It's buyingsomething you think is in the UK only to find it has to come half way around the world.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 10:53:54 am »

I've come across another over the weekend. I'm in the market for a lathe, not had one for about 20 years since I had a unimat. Anyway scouring places like Axminster tools etc and comparing them to what is on offer on Ebay, it seems that they are all of Chinese origin except those from reputable dealers have been rebranded with their names at double the cost!
So it will be Ebay, now here is where it gets shall we say 'loose' in the sellers. I have looked at a few on ebay UK and Spain, all the sellers offer broadly the same two lathes and prices vary between them by very little, so its choose one and buy it. Except that I chose a Belgian seller (Europe you see!) reading the full description brought me to the bottom of the page where it said in very small type "Item will be sent from our warehouse in Hamburg Germany" Hmmm.
A little bit of digging and it seems that all of the 'sellers' ship from the same two warehouses, one in Southampton and one in Hamburg Germany!  This is exactly the same scenario I came across when I bought my laser cutter several years ago, in fact I think I could get good odds on it not only being the same warehouse but in fact the same backstop wholesaler using many accounts!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:23 pm »

Just sounds like Drop selling to me.  perfectly Normal on Ebay.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »

Find the wives new(ish) solid fuel powered clothes iron (Xmas pressy) is also made in China .  Chop Hop Chinese laundry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 06:25:01 pm »

If you are buying a mini lathe then don't do so just on price. I did a lot of research online before buying mine in places such as the Model Engineer magazine website forum and elsewhere as there is a huge amount of information on these lathes and their quality. It was quite an eye opener.

Whilst it is true that the basic castings originate from a couple of Chinese manufacturers and are badged by resellers, the extent to which they are finished, the quality of the ancill;iary components and the degree to which the lathe is set up can all vary enormously so that at one end of the scale you have boought a load of crap which will take forever (it at all) to get working properly and at the other a machine which will function pretty well as delivered without the need for minor adjustments.I ended up buying a Conquest Super from Chester although I haven't yet actually used it very much. It does seem to be a decent machine.
Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 07:20:32 pm »

I have three unimat lathes , an SL set up as a bench circular saw , a no 3 set up as a vertical miller and another newer No 3 for metal and work turning but this one for sale is a No 4 and is Taiwan made and with this things went downhill.  http://www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/170322-unimat-4/

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 07:50:28 pm »

Its actually a very clever scam , they take your money , leave it in the bank for 40 days gaining interest then pay you back , means they earn the interest from your money which is fraud , but , good luck getting the Chinese or FleaBay to sort them out
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.