Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here - help and advice required  (Read 3717 times)

northsands

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New here - help and advice required
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:22 pm »

Hi all, new to the forum (and the world of model boating) and in need of a bit of advice.

We've had this model boat in the family for the past 35 or so years, before that it had belonged to one of my father's colleagues who had kindly given it to him.

It's been sat in a drawer in the garage for at least the last 20 years until I discovered it during a clearout. Prior to that I remember us bringing it back to life and taking it to the local boating lake for an outing, but it had no means of steering it, just switching the motor off and on which led to a few near misses!

Anyway, I'm hoping to bring it back to life over the dark winter months. Seems pretty solid, and not too many repairs needed. First up, I'm wondering if anyone can identify it? Hoping it might be a common model or from a kit, as I'd like to return it to its original appearance if possible.

Secondly, I'd like to replace the motor with something more modern, and add means to steer the boat - can anyone offer any suggestions as to what setup would suit this?

Pics attached (hopefully)!

Thanks in advance...

Andy

northsands

• Shipmate
Re: New here - help and advice required
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:37:58 pm »

Just to add, current motor is a Johnson '888' made in Hong Kong.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 05:52:35 pm »

Hi Andy p/m sent.

Stan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:37:35 am »

Any modern motor with the same can diameter will do the job.  Nothing fancy, but present day motors tend to be better than motrs from 35 years ago.  Having the same shaft diameter will be a great help in transferring the drive dog (assuming that it can be got off after 35 years).  It will need an ESC that can handle the voltage you intend to use, and the current that the motor will want.  Probably a Marine Viper 25.
Steering needs a servo.
To control them you need a radio with at least 2 channels (Normal starter these days is 4).  Anything that says "2.4 GHz" will do as long as it either says "full range" or DOESNT say "Park Flyer".

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:05:33 pm »

it looks like an old RAF Sea Plain tender with the front end of the cabin missing. O0

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »

Yes, Neil has it solved . It is I believe, the 41 1/2ft version RAF Seaplane Tender judging by the 4 windows in cabin. You can buy plans for this model
MM 1391. Twin engine usually.
What length is your model?
N

northsands

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:38 am »

Apologies for the late reply - email notifications were going to junk mail, sorted now.

Malcolm - thanks a lot for that, very useful. Will make a start on the shopping list!

Neil - that's it! Thanks so much. Knowing this makes getting the colour scheme correct a whole lot easier. Will check out the plans. Thinking back, I have a photo (lost, but somewhere) of the boat in the 60s and recall the roundel on the side. 

Nordlys - just measured it. and it's approx 31" long. Only appears to have been one motor, but who knows what has been modified over the years...  %)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »

Northsand, At 31 inches long this doesnt correspond to the plan MM 1391 that i told you about. It being 41 inches. There is a smaller Seaplane Tender series 200 which comes in at approx 37Inch. Plan 2041
Your model has many similarities to both models mentioned above, although both have twin engines on plan.
I would guess that someone has built this from scratch?
N

northsands

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 07:34:12 pm »

Northsand, At 31 inches long this doesnt correspond to the plan MM 1391 that i told you about. It being 41 inches. There is a smaller Seaplane Tender series 200 which comes in at approx 37Inch. Plan 2041
Your model has many similarities to both models mentioned above, although both have twin engines on plan.
N
Hmmm, the plot thickens. I think that could be possible, would explain the single engine. Don't know a whole lot about the fella who donated it but he was a very keen model maker. 

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 09:06:48 pm »

N

This is the ST 200, as you say approximately 37" long. and twin screw.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 09:25:27 am »

And this is my ST 206 Seaplane Tender 37 inch recently completed.
N

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 07:28:39 pm »

And this is my ST 206 Seaplane Tender 37 inch recently completed.
N

another cracker, Nordlys

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 07:33:16 pm »

there is actually the rotting hull with many holes cut in it of a sea plane tender languishing on the hard standing at Fleetwood docks....been there for a few years...…

if anyone wants some photos of her I'll go down next dry day and take some.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 07:42:59 pm »

Thanks Neil,  Accomplished with the help of some sketches from you of cabin construction. 
Now on to the 41 inch version.
N.

northsands

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »

Thanks for the pics, all - fantastic. Sorry, struggling to respond to each post individually due to the laborious captcha required for each post, but I'm grateful for each reply!
Had a chat with Stan last night which was very useful in starting to figure out what bits I need to get this running again. On e thing we were trying to figure out, is if this model had been fitted with a rudder previously. Here's a pic of the underside, any thoughts welcomed!

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 08:16:12 pm »

looks like a water scoop behind the prop then a rudder post nearer the transom.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 09:08:10 pm »

Totally agree It looks like a water scoop behind the prop. If a rudder was fitted I think it must been fixed somehow no signs of any moving parts  on the hull just a stub. I have sent you a further pm.

Stan

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 09:19:27 pm »

there is actually the rotting hull with many holes cut in it of a sea plane tender languishing on the hard standing at Fleetwood docks....been there for a few years...…

if anyone wants some photos of her I'll go down next dry day and take some.

SILLY question Neil Guess WHO would like some PICS

cheers m8ty

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 09:24:45 pm »

SILLY question Neil Guess WHO would like some PICS

cheers m8ty

Dave

what ya mean matey...…………...I don't have any pics of the build of mine only pics of the finished model...…………..did have them but on an old computer, and on an external hard drive but never figured how to put them on my new one/

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 09:37:36 pm »

Northsands,  from your first picture there looks to be a rudder steering arm, one of those fixed steering affairs. This will be your new rudder location with the usual rudder components, freely available. try Modelboatbits.
Abandon what remains of the water scoop and fill-in the hull here.
You have some serious work to do on your model before buying rudder parts tho.
Good luck.
N

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »

Personally I would start off with some Rustings paint stripper rubber gloves and wire wool to scrape the paint off or a wood chisel around an inch wide,then at least you will be able to see what you have got...Ok any filler will have to be rubbed down with 80 grit paper......Best of luck

Dave

northsands

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:22 pm »

Northsands,  from your first picture there looks to be a rudder steering arm, one of those fixed steering affairs. This will be your new rudder location with the usual rudder components, freely available. try Modelboatbits.
Abandon what remains of the water scoop and fill-in the hull here.
You have some serious work to do on your model before buying rudder parts tho.
Good luck.
N
Personally I would start off with some Rustings paint stripper rubber gloves and wire wool to scrape the paint off or a wood chisel around an inch wide,then at least you will be able to see what you have got...Ok any filler will have to be rubbed down with 80 grit paper......Best of luck
Dave
Great stuff, thanks a lot. Since that photo I've flatted it back and primed it, looking a whole lot better. few small repairs but nothing I can't handle. Pretty adept at painting/woodwork (cars, guitars...) so that's not something I'm overly concerned about. Just very new to the ins and outs of model boating, so expect a lot more questions on that front! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.