Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale Matters  (Read 16680 times)

poll

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scale Matters..............................
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »

Hi Big Ada.  The working ring is on a bearing which is fastened to a part of the deck and the deck is screwed down to seal it on to
  the main deck, it gets about a egg cup full of water in her on a days towing, the photos that you see was done as a type of demo
  and to see how it performed under normal towing ( model wise ) the ship would not have been towed that fast but that was the only
  way we could get it to do what it's doing. The idea of making the Carrousel tug was after seeing a video sent to me by Ray Malone
  from the Southend club I thought what a good project, hope this helps.

Regards

John
                               PS  my club is Balne Moor m.b.c.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »

I think if I was on a full size tug doing that I would be changing my underpants. By the way indirect towing with VS tugs in the MoD(n) was quite common, we all believed it was totally safe, then after some years some one did a research paper and proved in theory it was possible to drag over a VS conducting the operation.

Tug Chief

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs, boats & all that floats!
  • Location: Sax, Spain or Aktau, Kazakstan or Port Moresby, PNG.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 12:29:09 am »

I think that you would have been quite safe on a TUTT Dodes, not much chance of turning one of them over with a 40m hull and a mighty 2640 BHP!

I have been on-board them a few times in Pompy and down in West Africa where a few of them reside now and the words; Skin & Rice Pudding come to mind!  The size of tug would have given some reasonable indirect forces at higher speeds but when compared to commercial VS tugs of that era the TUTT's were in true Navy fashion, over sized and under powered.

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 04:56:53 pm »

I think if I was on a full size tug doing that I would be changing my underpants. By the way indirect towing with VS tugs in the MoD(n) was quite common, we all believed it was totally safe, then after some years some one did a research paper and proved in theory it was possible to drag over a VS conducting the operation.
        Hi Dodes. check this one out.           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ87AqoG2gk

John

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 05:02:30 pm »

Here is the video of John's (Poll) experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLGUbzPN5HM

Adam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 06:23:56 pm »

Towing the Emma Maersk build in scale 1:60, towed around by 4 ASD tugs in 1:50
https://youtu.be/rRedNN8lzOI

T33cno

Re: Scale Matters
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 07:18:50 pm »

I want my working tug to be like a bag of cement. 1:32 scale has a lot of displacement and presence. I think my little Portgarth will be close to 20kg when completed.

I like my 1:75 scale Rotterdam and I'll return to finish it eventually but for scale sailing only.

Both are 950mm long interestingly that is manageable down my half landing staircase. If I had a garage I could go up in size  {-)

Any well built model is a pleasure to view regardless of scale, quality over scale rules for me

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »

There have been incidents in the MoD history of towing, a tid was pulled over in the sixties at Chatham (the mate in charge, mech in charge and stocker died), a dog at Rosyth was pulled over by a GMD where the tugs boy was washed from the foredeck onto the bridge wing, the Robust when towing hawser in the bow was pulled over sufficient to put her upper deck under. But I have seen TUTs when on a indirect tow put their decks under without full power. It is not always power but the towed vessel pulling at speed when you are near beam on, towing is an inherent dangerous business, I had a 10% loading put on my live insurance when they found out that I worked on tugs. A TID is very weak in power but one was pulled over, the TUTs were 35 ton pull, which was good when built but with progress they did become left behind, but they coped well with all the big RFA's in cold moves.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »

Hi Guys and Gals yes I am a modeller of all types for a few decades I have had boats in the past  :-) but a Cindy doll driving a motor launch that had a 45 sized Glow Motor in went well after a few mods? My project now That I have retired  :} is a Tug Boat 1/48th Scale possibly over powered? ( Rules for motor size?) well yes I would like eventually to be able to (Tow) so will hopefully build in reinforcement so it can. I am right at the start and still getting around some of the ( Motors, Bow motors, and how to and what voltage) all the usual that I can get my head round!! So how long ? unknown? Got to order parts now I have a kit of the (Yorkshireman) looking for all running gear now. Now I may need your Help? So I do intend to as I have today got onto this forum and can see it will help me a lot. So for future reference a BIG THANK YOU  :-)) to all I am a Loyal Englishman.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 06:32:08 pm »

Hi Folks have we lost the plot here I thought it was about model size not full size shipping, I'm sure a modeller can build a model to 
  suit him/her. talking about indirect towing this is my carrousel tug and I love it.

John
Hi My new friend and yes a sensible comment at last after visiting one of the best clubs around for (Tug towing) it seems to me from the friendly members
and open arms to visitors a lot of tug going builders could learn a lot from (Balne Moor Model boat Club) the help and advice was freely given. And participating
in there (SVITZER CHALENGE SHEILD) ON THE 16th September 2018 was one of the best trips out yet. Thanks to all Involved.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.