The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Receiver wire routing and length

(1/5) > >>

mbm999:
Hi,

I've recently returned to model boats after a (rather large) gap and i think i'm in need of a bit of guidance (quite a lot actually). Hope someone can help.

I bought a second hand, complete, Lisa M, just to help me get started (and I like the boat!).

So, first question is about the radio gear it came with:-
It's an Acoms ap202 transmitter/receiver on 27Mhz (it all seems to work) when close to the boat.
Does anyone know how long this aerial should be and how it should be routed in the boat (it has been connected to a removable metal antenna on the top of the superstructure).
The wire out of the receiver is about 19" long and then the metal antenna is 11" long.

Hope that's clear(ish), any clarification, please ask.

Thanks,
Mark

martno1fan:
Sounds good to me have you tried it at distance yet :-)) ,length sounds right to me so it should work fine.

mbm999:
Hi,Cheers for the reply.I guess i was more asking about what the length of the receiver wire should be (ie. has it been shortened from its original length to accommodate the metal antenna?). I'm thinking of re-routing the aerial away from the motor to reduce any potential interference.
If i do this. how much of the aerial should be external to the boat (if any)?
Thanks,Mark

rnli12:
Generally its to provide a greater volumetric area for signals to be picked up, for example running the length of the boat or up masts, the shorter the length the less 'capture' you get. Ive extended some of mine and coiled up so its personal choice.

Rich

Andyn:
Most factory antennas tended to be about 3 feet. This has been covered at length over the years and info is easily found on this forum and Google.

What's also covered at length is how much better 2.4ghz is, and how most (non dark age) modellers have now rid themselves of 27mhz  %)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version