Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: CVA-01 HMS Queen Elizabeth  (Read 49441 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: CVA-01 HMS Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2019, 10:58:26 pm »

I have just noticed the funnels Rob. What an interesting arrangement! Was she CODAG or Steam and Diesel?

The coterie of aircraft is a good detail to see attended to  :-)) 
Pond weed is your enemy

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2019, 07:25:00 pm »

She would have been three shafts Steam turbine, very good layout as each propulsion area would have been enclosed in its own splinter proof setting, thus giving max chance of at least one unit surviving an attack, the rudders were arranged similarly, each one had its own independent steering machinery so it could be used in event of otherers being lost.

Bob

I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2019, 07:28:02 pm »

Port catapult track fitted and forward lift cut out

Bob

I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2019, 05:50:57 pm »

No to much done due to finishing a book for publisher.

Trying to bring the hangar to life, very slowly, the wires are for the lighting to be sorted soon.  (JohnV) can you recall how much smaller this area was originally  :-))
Major decision taken in that the deck will stay as a whole section and secured by hidden screws , looks ok so far.

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2019, 08:24:41 pm »

HI Bob very nice build an its great to see another person fittin in leds lights on the ship I will be following your build great stuff this
chris

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2019, 03:37:31 pm »

Hi bob its John V my old aircraft carrier looking grand .I am so pleased you took it on can you put some picks up of the rudders in side hull and motors when you get a minute.and have you got top side of the deck done .I can see you are getting on with it cheers John V

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2019, 06:03:32 pm »

John
 as requested, shot of motors and the tiller arrangements

Bob

I will finish this model

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2019, 07:16:33 pm »

Hi bob its John V I can see it's going to move a 9 foot aircraft carrier and buy the look it's going to turn well .have you though about a bow thruster for tight turns .don't forget I want to be there for the big launch .you should be proud of yourself you are doing a lovely job cheers John V

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2019, 05:22:58 pm »

Well not posted for a while, so here is latest offering, fitted (temp) the starboard chaff launcher, makes a difference, next big job will be making her travelling box, which starts next w/e, this will mean I can get her wet and ballasted properly, unlike last time having to contend with several leaks.

Bob

I will finish this model

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:35 pm »

Hi bob its John V lovely details coming on great looking forward to finishing paint work and water test cheers John

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2019, 12:23:07 pm »

Now for something different but still CVA-01,, as she is just over 8 foot long, it does not fit in car, so obviously wish to transport to sail so options
1/ new car, not really going to happen
2/ trailer, possible but adding up the cost of trailer, bracket, wiring and fitting, again not happening
3/ a coffin on the roof rack, way to go.
It is built as a complete flat pack box, load base onto the rack, then load Lizzie, then the panel are screwed on and finally a waterproof cover covers the lot.  It works well in trials and as she is only a foot high, its going to work.  The grey paint in the image is pussers weather works grey supplied from paint store HMS Illustrious  :-)) Just thought it might help others with bigger models

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »

Comin on well you got some great ideas Bob  :-)) lookin forward to seein more of your work an her bein worked on are you havin workin aircraft elevator's
Bob ?  an that wheatherworks grey is it in a spray can or brush on an how much is the paint ? because as you know Bob im building a big tiger an if paint is cheaper ?
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2019, 11:36:30 am »

Chris the answer to your paint question is the post accompanying the  :-)) :-))

Bob
I will finish this model

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2019, 02:23:46 pm »

Now for something different but still CVA-01,, as she is just over 8 foot long, it does not fit in car, so obviously wish to transport to sail so options
1/ new car, not really going to happen
2/ trailer, possible but adding up the cost of trailer, bracket, wiring and fitting, again not happening
3/ a coffin on the roof rack, way to go.
It is built as a complete flat pack box, load base onto the rack, then load Lizzie, then the panel are screwed on and finally a waterproof cover covers the lot.  It works well in trials and as she is only a foot high, its going to work.  The grey paint in the image is pussers weather works grey supplied from paint store HMS Illustrious  :-)) Just thought it might help others with bigger models

Bob

I had a similar problem with my HMS Agincourt, although a foot shorter than yours there was no way I could get it into my small car.  Trailers are not allowed at Black Park, where there is also a 1.8M height bar on the entrance which rules out top boxes.

In the end I cut the hull in half, using sliding telescopic stainless tubes between the hulls and an HD toggle latch as a central clamp. 

Bob K
Erroneous link removed - Admin

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2019, 02:37:41 pm »

Hi Bob
yes followed that build, works for you but not a great fan of split hulls, so this seemed the way, all trials seem positive so fingers crossed.

Bob
I will finish this model

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2019, 11:45:47 pm »

One Task Force 72 member that i know bought a second hand ambulance for his Ark and Lusty.
Both are on racks on one side and he has a bed and drop down bench on the other side.  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2019, 11:58:06 pm »

One Task Force 72 member that i know bought a second hand ambulance for his Ark and Lusty.
Both are on racks on one side and he has a bed and drop down bench on the other side.  :-))
I'd love to see any available photos of that setup.
(thinking ahead to upcoming retirement)  ;)

Regards,
Ray.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2019, 05:49:12 am »

I will if possible.   It will depend on when we next meet

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2019, 09:07:57 pm »

Hi bob its John V stop keeping us all in the dark .we are all waiting to see more picks .on how things are going with project cheers John V

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2019, 03:28:43 pm »

At the moment, commencing fitting the fuse box and wiring, once that is done it is time to make the antenna that fold away, once that's done a video of it all working will be posted.
I will finish this model

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2019, 05:52:47 pm »

Hi bob its John V there's a lot of people on hear all waiting in anticipation .it sounds you are nearly there. Hope you have enyored the challenge because if anybody now's it's me cheers John V

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2019, 06:07:46 pm »

and using an old ambulance means there is a special place for the defib when the weight of the model overcomes the modeler, though using the gurney for an ambulance may be a way of transporting it to the waters edge.  :P  and the modeler back after succumbing to the weight
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2019, 09:19:52 am »

:D :D :D
Its not that heavy, more unwieldly, all weight is added once in the wet stuff, transport from the car to water is, by means of a garden trolley with nice pneumatic tyres, easily lifted onto roof of car, in actual fact my HMS Bristol and Tiger are more awkward to move around.  This is a fun hobby is it not  ok2 ok2
and using an old ambulance means there is a special place for the defib when the weight of the model overcomes the modeler, though using the gurney for an ambulance may be a way of transporting it to the waters edge.  :P  and the modeler back after succumbing to the weight
I will finish this model

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2019, 09:38:20 am »

I solved my seven foot HMS Agincourt by cutting in half.  Each half is self contained and thus able to carry its batteries etc so no need to mess around knelling to fit and wire up batteries.  The two halves are joined by sliding telescopic stainless tubes, with a single toggle latch to secure.

It may sound extreme but is surprisingly easy to maneuver and get into my small car with the halves side by side.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2019, 11:02:41 am »

Hi Bob
Used that method for my Victorious and to be honest hated it, it all fits in the car but just don't like split hulls, with Elizabeth, once at waters edge drop batteries in connect to fuse box, fit flight deck and job done.  At end of day its what suits each one of us and also fits out capabilities.

Bob
I solved my seven foot HMS Agincourt by cutting in half.  Each half is self contained and thus able to carry its batteries etc so no need to mess around knelling to fit and wire up batteries.  The two halves are joined by sliding telescopic stainless tubes, with a single toggle latch to secure.

It may sound extreme but is surprisingly easy to maneuver and get into my small car with the halves side by side.
I will finish this model
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.