Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: CVA-01 HMS Queen Elizabeth  (Read 49426 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: CVA-01 HMS Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2021, 10:04:54 pm »

Chris
Yes I have a full air wing, as for Lizzie she is still ok, but just to cold to go in the garage, now have started on a nice indoor project, with a bit of modelling licence.  Google HMS  Leviathan R97  I am going to build her as if she HAD been completed  Tweaking Glynn Guests model of Goliath and lots of Shapeways bits which at 1/144 are pretty cheap.  Pictures once some progress is mad.

Bob
I will finish this model

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2021, 01:49:15 pm »

Well it’s time for the announcement- HMS Queen Elizabeth CVA-01 transferred to Kettering last week and had her maiden sail at Wicksteed Park model boat lake. Remarkably manoeuvrable with the triple props and rudders she sails rather majestically and occasionally I had to remember to slow down in advance as is the case with heavy displacement models.
My thanks to Bob Griffin (Rob47) for allowing me to take ownership of such a fantastic model.
I hope to continue his excellent work and she will be a common sight hopefully around the country.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2021, 01:51:13 pm »

Pictures of the maiden voyage
Nick B

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2021, 02:11:29 pm »

A flush decked UK carrier!  :o

That's going back to our carrier roots for sure, a bit like the 'Furious'.
Regards
Kit

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2021, 02:34:18 pm »

Yes she does look like a modernised Furious or Argus! Superstructure is being repaired at the moment as the trip back from Bob’s was a little more bumpy than expected and broke some of the structure but nothing that couldn’t be fixed with a bit of glue and tape to hold it in place whilst it dried.
Nick B

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2021, 04:42:06 pm »

I know every pothole on every possible route from Glos to Northants so I feel for your problems in trying to avoid them!  :((

Well done on getting her afloat.  :-))
Regards
Kit

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2021, 04:58:07 pm »

The credit goes to Bob for the fantastic rebuild which if I remember correctly included the prop shaft re-alignment. The rudders are particularly interesting and I did wonder how effective they are- at fully speed she can slew around surprisingly tight for a model of her size.
Nick B

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2021, 09:59:34 pm »

The credit goes to Bob for the fantastic rebuild which if I remember correctly included the prop shaft re-alignment. The rudders are particularly interesting and I did wonder how effective they are- at fully speed she can slew around surprisingly tight for a model of her size.

Nick
Thans for posting those, good to see her in the water and to hear how well she sails, I did wondr about the rudders, hope it was not the island that was dmaged.

Bob
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2021, 10:00:38 pm »

A flush decked UK carrier!  :o

That's going back to our carrier roots for sure, a bit like the 'Furious'.
Would have been amazing as she coloud land, launch and strike down aircraft all at the same time with no interpution to flying

Bob

I will finish this model

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:53 pm »

Hi Bob

Glad you like the pictures and get to see her sailing in them. Unfortunately it was the superstructure that as damaged slightly as it fell over in the back in the van when we went over a series of road potholes but nothing too serious- a bit of thin glue and and tape was all that is needed to hold it back together again.
Nick B

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2021, 12:20:56 pm »

HI  Nick some lovely moddeling on that carrier but whats gonna happen on that smaller tiger ?

chris

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2021, 12:27:28 pm »

Don’t worry about tiny tiger, the build is on-going this week as I have at long last got a week off work! Loads of modelling potential this week ;)
Nick B

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2021, 12:36:30 pm »

Don’t worry about tiny tiger, the build is on-going this week as I have at long last got a week off work! Loads of modelling potential this week ;)

OH BRILLINT Nick  :-))
Chris

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2021, 01:06:01 pm »

An interesting turn of events that I am pleased to see resulting in you taking on one of Mr Griffins masterpieces :) It's a shame we cannot claim for damage to goods etc from these blasted potholes* Maybe more would be removed if there was a way.

*If the pothole has not been identified by Highways (usually by spraying it with a coloured boundary ) and it causes damage to your vehicle then you can I believe make a claim for repair costs.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2022, 04:39:38 pm »

Hi everyone

Time for some updates to the CVA01 project. As Bob was aware and would have sorted when he was making the model the aft section of hangar/quarterdeck/boat deck needed some attention to make it removable and watertight at the same time. I’ve carefully removed Bob’s elevator and put in storage temporarily with the lights so this could be rectified. It’s been fun I can say as I managed to get copies of the original ship drawings and used them to construct a rough example of the area which has been interesting to say in the least! I thought I could get away with not removing the rudder tillers and steering equipment but after discovering that the hangar deck sat lower I’ve had to carefully disconnect them too to trial fit the deck and see where the access will be in case of emergency rudder failure. All the electrics have been carefully photographed and disconnected to lay in the bows of the carrier so no damage can come to them during the construction of the aft/stern section.
Fingers crossed that when everything is reconnected my photos and memory will ensure a good working elevator and other features as before.
Nick B

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2022, 04:57:06 pm »

Intresting Nick, see you noticed the discrepancy between plans and actual hull, are you using the NMM plans set? I found from those that I would have had to increaes the hull sides to give correct height, I see you have cut down to give it the height.  Its a good model to work on, btw dont break the forward part of the bridge, as price now is enough to buy a real carrier.
Happy New year to you and your dad.

Bob
I will finish this model

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2022, 05:22:08 pm »

Hi Bob

Yes they are the NMM plans and I can see what you mean when I collected her from you- they are infuriating I’m not matching up so I’ve made it practicable instead of accurate as there is no way some parts as drawn will fit or work. The drawing shows the sea dart launcher but no way of detail how it was reloaded or controlled and the area around the launcher itself and the quarterdeck is like deciphering hieroglyphs. I’m doing as you did- make it look like it would work instead of following the plans 100%.
The superstructure is safe at work in its box and fully secure this time. I saw the price on Shapeways and almost gasped at the price- I was speaking to Mark Hawkins and he has bought three 3D printers himself after he was happy with the price they were going to charge for his new K class superstructure. So watch for his own stuff very soon- I’ve actually got a 3D printer myself but still trying to understand the CAD software that goes with it.
Many thanks and I’ll keep you posted on the rebuild/finishing.
Happy New Year to you and and your family too from both Dad and myself. :-))
Nick B

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: January 03, 2022, 06:47:12 pm »

The sea dart launcher is the MoD 0 as fitted to the T82 HMS Bristol and although it had the flash doors either side in practice it was to be reload horizontally, as there was no space for a deep magazine, suspect that the launcehrv would have been redesigned in that case.
If I was to tackle it again I would have to be drastic and do a lot of cutting and adding bits, but as it was 3/4 built I tired as you sayo to make it look correct.  Talking of the plans, when i collected them from the brass foundry, we had them all laid out and one of the volunteers looked at them and said "thats the first time in 50 years I have seen these" he only was one of the draughtsman on it.  Have attached a section of plan just to ocnfirm sameo nes.

Bob

I will finish this model
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.