Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on Suppliers  (Read 2366 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
Help on Suppliers
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:06:40 pm »

I am working on a small project (note the word small)

I am looking for suppliers of

• Small (mirco) servos and small speed controllers/motors. (I have have had some success for the servo and receiver - but the speed controller / motor is an issue)
  • Small (10 mm(ish) dia) propellers

Any help would be appreciated

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Help on Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:53 pm »

Hi it's John V i have three electric motors 25mm long by 15mm if any good to you cheers John V

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:18:24 pm »

For micro gear best to check out suppliers for indoor electric planes. Two possibles are
Robotbirds and Micron Radio Control.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 08:26:55 pm »

For mini ESC I can recommend something similar to this - available from several suppliers, mainly in China. I doubt it would handle 20 Amps, but for your requirements perfectly adequate. It also provides a BEC so no Rx battery needed :-))
For small motors one source is the motor from a servo. The problem sometimes is having enough shaft to connect to.

Barrie

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
Regards
Skimmer Fan

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:57:04 pm »

To all who have replied so quickly many thanks.

Once I have completed some further work I will look to post some details in the new year of the project

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:00:21 am »

Thanks for posting that! I obviously missed posting a link. I actually found a supplier in Jersey offering the same item
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-ESC-Brush-Motor-Speed-Controller-Switchable-Brake-Cable-for-Car-Boat-RC894/153307753636?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dc8e69d62947b4ecb96c6abfbce58a8d0%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D202541145903%26itm%3D153307753636&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Barrie
............although really, you need the version WITHOUT the brake function.  SinAs noted on another thread, don't be surprised if it does come from a supplier in China, apply a sizeable safety factor to the current handling claims, and be aware that throttle responce is assymetric.
I get that small size is iportant, but just how small and what is the project?  A mini tug has one set of requirements, a mini speed boat a different set altogether.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:07 am »

There have been several recent threads on small ESCs ad this one covers most of the ground, including my default option using a simple modification of a continuous rotation servo:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61850.msg651954.html#msg651954

On small props, the photo shows a range of some taken from plastic kits or toys that might help.

As ever, it really depends on how small you will have to be working at,  especially what weight you can allow for the complete RC installation including motor and battery?  If this is below about 20 grams you would be well advised to look at Micron radio control's Deltang range of combined Rx and ESC micro boards plus geared motor from their range used in small planes.  http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_land_v5.html

RST

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 10:33:19 pm »

Before you go mail order is the sports and model shop no good?

...small motors -check
...micro servos -usually a check unless you want really small ones
...small esc's -well I'm another who's done very well in the past stripping a cheap normal size servo down and geting a motor + esc from it for under a tenner -check, but that's maybe too small?

10mm props I suggested a place in Germany on another thread offering them for something like 3 for 1EUR on a small photo etch but a) they seem to have a problem logging in to purchase from them and they don't answer e-mails anyway b) you would have to be just plain daft to do payment by bank transfer these days and c) they want almost 20EUR shipping on any size order -even a 1EUR part it seems.  So I guess it's maybe to the model shop maybe and buy some K&S sheet brass?

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 11:25:16 pm »

The Sports and Hobby shop is on the list - but have not had much time to get across to Dingwall recently and won't be heading that way till mid January

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 09:05:26 am »

Have a read at - http://towboatjoe.tripod.com/shafts.htm - it makes the sheet brass option simple.  The outlines given just need resizing to suit your preference.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »

Many thanks for all the help - work on the project is progressing and as promised here is a render of the hull and (50% of the)deck

It has ended up a a hybrid between a springer and a dozer boat - Its mainly interned as a fun proof of concept for mini rc scale boats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqYvDlIM2E) similar to some I have recently seen. The Japanese modelers are way ahead in some of the electronics and as a civil engineer the electronics they are using is a bit out of my comfort zone.

A test print of part of the hull is complete and indicated some structural issues so the wall have had to be thickened. The 3d printed propeller seems ok - but am still looking for a stronger option.

There are a few modelers/makers working on 3d printed boats -e.g. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIjdgTiP0o) and while not going to replace traditional modelling - it is offering a new way into he hobby.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 11:02:46 pm »

Some more renders - Still some minor bugs to work out with rudder, servos, etc - but getting there.

Test printing this weekend
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.