Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lipo batteries  (Read 2153 times)

Vickers 38

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Lipo batteries
« on: December 18, 2018, 01:58:52 pm »

Hi all I’m gonna to be going down the lipo road and hoping to leave the gel cells behind can anyone get me the heads up on what are the good and the not so good batts to use someone told me to go with 3s 5500 to power 1/12 Trent  but just after a big more information. Regard lee.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lipo batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »

Hello LeeTurnigy and there Graphene range are very good . HobbyKing is about the best place for batteries . You just missed a few sales but they will have another one soon . The have some batteries on offer. The battery in the link I got for 23 pounds when it was on offer.

Next you will need a good charger. get a good one as cheap one over charge Lipos and kills them . Case in point a Bought a fake B3 charger and it killed 2 lipos. At the time i did not know it was fake .
A 1/12 trent is a big boat so will pull power so make sure you get a lipo with a C rating that can handel the discharge .
John
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-graphene-5200mah-3s-15c-w-xt60.html?wrh_pdp=1

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:32:47 pm »

Also have a good look at the Component shop website and give them a ring at least if there is anything wrong they are based up here in North Wales and are always at the end of the telephone,they will advise you on  a charger and charging the batts as well.

Dave

Vickers 38

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:08:39 pm »

Thanks for your help guys will get on the case hopefully there have a sale again shortly John
And I’ll have a look at the components shop website Dave regards lee.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:35:59 pm »

Hobby King have sales all the time , you can set up alaerts etc . I am waiting on a Raido set to come back in . I set an alaert up. HK are a lot cheaper than other outlets .
John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 05:53:35 pm »

Hobby king is very good but unfortunately many of the bargain prices are on nil stock items and I expect the prices will go up significantly when restocked.
I have many Turnigy batteries and a couple of Zippy and have nothing negative to report. Even from EU warehouse delivery is quite quick and I don’t think you have to spend a fortune to qualify for free delivery.
Global warehouse often has better prices but there is always the risk of import duty and VAT
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:33:56 pm »

I use Hobby King for lipos for my helis. Frankly, I find Overlander and other UK outlets extortionate for lipos but each to their own. Make sure you shop from the UK or EU warehouse. If you use the Global warehouse, you will have import duty and Royal Mail handling charges to add on.
Turnigy Nanotechs do tend to 'puff' a little. Mine are now over 5 years old and have lost a little power but still good to go. Then you have Turnigy blues, Zippy Flightmax and Zippy Compacts (yellow). Hard cased packs are for cars to stand the collisions and impacts while Zippy Compacts are a little narrower than the rest where space might be tight.
I dont use Graphene packs. I understand you can supposedly charge these on a good lipo charger as they are supposed to be Lipo cells but couldnt vouch for that. In reality these pack more of a punch so Id say only buy these if into racing.
Overall, if space is tight, buy Zippy Compacts otherwise Id recommend Zippy Flightmax for better performance or Turnigy blues which are a little cheaper.
Depending on what your use will be, you shouldnt need anything more than a 25C rating for general scale. If you want fast scale for a heavier boat, probably a rating up to 45 - 50C will be adequate. If you are racing, you will want something like 75C rating.Essentially, the more 'S' equals more voltage ie 2S is about 7.4v, 4S 14.8v, 5S 18v, so will give your boat a faster speed. Id say for a 1\12 Trent you'd probably need at least 5S and maybe even 6S.
Put another way, for my large scale helis I use a couple of 5S 5000mah 25C packs. You are better buying for example two 4000mah packs rather than one 8000mah pack. Reason being an 8000mah pack will cost more plus if you get a dud cell in it, it will virtually render it useless whereas you have to be unlucky for a cell to go in both 4000mah packs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.