Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer wire find  (Read 2979 times)

Pat Matthews

• Full Mayhemer
  • Get your boats wet!
    • Matthews Model Marine
Computer wire find
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:16:26 am »

I've been forever stripping wires out of old telephone and CAT5 cables... small gages, lots of colors, useful and cheap.[/size]But here's another discovery- braided and twisted bare conductors... possibly useful as tow winch wire and such. I know I can get twisted steel wire-- in fine gages from craft stores, used for bead stringing, up to bicycle cable and larger... but that stuff is STIFF, hard to use for something like winding around a reel.These two are:1. Small twisted ground line, found inside a power cable (110V) for something... not THE ground wire (green), but another separate conductor. Nice thing is, it's dead soft, much like picture hanging wire. About 0.032" [0.8mm] dia.2. Braided shield with several conductor wires inside, stripped out of an iPhone charger cable (Apple products have to be good for something I suppose...). With the conductors inside, it's about 0.070" [1.8mm] dia., and also super flexible.

Pat Matthews
Get Your Boats Wet!
Matthews Model Marine

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Computer wire find
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:52:31 am »

There you go Pat

v...................Been forever stripping wires out of old telephone and CAT5 cables... small gages, lots of colors, useful and cheap.But here's another discovery- braided and twisted bare conductors... possibly useful as tow winch wire and such. I know I can get twisted steel wire-- in fine gages from craft stores, used for bead stringing, up to bicycle cable and larger... but that stuff is STIFF, hard to use for something like winding around a reel.These two are:1. Small twisted ground line, found inside a power cable (110V) for something... not THE ground wire (green), but another separate conductor. Nice thing is, it's dead soft, much like picture hanging wire. About 0.032" [0.8mm] dia.2. Braided shield with several conductor wires inside, stripped out of an iPhone charger cable (Apple products have to be good for something I suppose...). With the conductors inside, it's about 0.070" [1.8mm] dia., and also super flexible.
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:02:56 am »

Hi I used to work for ICL and on our 1900 series computers we had long interface cables between CPU and each peripheral. 
I got hold of a 75 foot long faulty cable, they were not 'repairable', which has 78 different colour combination wires in twisted pairs inside plus braided screening covering.  It took me an afternoon to strip it down.  I am still using the nice flexible wire. 

That was in the early '80s and at least 35 years ago.

regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 09:13:01 am »

A wiring Loom from another component  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:49:40 pm »

got to love old pc gear to bits and bobs.
its a pain to strip cat 5 cable, but in the end its worth it :)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:11:54 pm »

I use cctv cable, comes in multiple strands and all different colours, apart from motor power cables I use this for everything :}

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 05:14:52 pm »

i was given a box full of old centronics parallel printer cables...

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 02:01:04 pm »

Interesting. Google "Beadalon" this is hewellery wire and comes in multiple thickneses - the one I'm using at the moment is 7 strand and 0.3mm diameter. You can get 14 strand as well. The finish is protected for obvious reasons but its available as bright and satin finish but even bright is not that bright and its very usefull for model work.

Wire fishing line is another source for models

[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Cheers[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Geoff [/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.