Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Intrepid CV-11 Essex Class Carrier  (Read 10231 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
U.S.S. Intrepid CV-11 Essex Class Carrier
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:02:43 am »

Dear Folks,  Well...  I couldn't wait until Christmas to open my present, so I cracked the box on the Intrepid and have started with adding bilge keels and prop shafts, rudder, etc.  She promises to be a great build ahead and I hope you folks enjoy it as much as I do.  This Vietnam era angled deck carrier of the Essex Class with a nice compliment of A-1 Skyraiders, A-4 Skyhawks, F-8 Crusaders, UH-2 Sea Sprite helicopters, of which I plan to purchase more of, plus some additional photo-etch parts for added detail.. although this kit is loaded with a ton of goodies to make a great model.  She was off shore Vietnam during the time I was stationed in country (1968)  and I suppose is the closest I will come to building the USS Ranger CVA-61 I served aboard in the US Navy.  Estimating 3 mos. for the build, sit back and enjoy.  Best regards and Merry Christmas,  Dennis

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Intrepid CV-11 Essex Class Carrier
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:47:28 pm »

Good luck with the build, I shall follow it with interest. I know Santa is bringing me Trumpeter's 1/700 HMS Hood. I would have preferred the 1/350 version but I have little space left with other models to display it.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »

And there in lies another problem.  5 aircraft carrier models, even at 1/350 scale, all in cases, fills up a room quickly. What do people do.  this illness requires that I have to keep building.  I even have airplanes hanging from the ceiling.  My wife is very understanding, she calls it our little museum.  Maybe I should start charging for tours?  I know I couldn't build a 1/700 until I get these cateracts taken care of.  Oh the joy of aging. But I am having fun.  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:15:23 am »

Dennis, Get them fixed, you will not regret it. Did it five years ago and never looked back.Besides, Now I can go out to dinner and not worry about driving after dark.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 07:47:30 am »

Dennis,
Keep at it many of us are inspired by your models  :-))
Festive best wishes to you and your family.

Rich
Regards,

Rich

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:58:13 pm »

I had both cataracts done this year, oh what a difference it makes! Clarity, colour everything so vivid after years of dullness which you really don't appreciate how bad it gets as it slowly creeps up on you.
Gives a modeller new life, although I'm not sure the wife appreciates the increasing number of models in the house.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 04:43:12 am »

Yes, I will be making an eye appt. after the holidays for sure.  Ok, on with the build.  First time with Gallery models kit and its a beauty. Never seen as good a casting aside from resin kits. Beautifully rendered details in this kit. Drawbacks are no real detail given inside hanger deck, so I will not be doing much there. Most doors will be in the closed position with the exception of the port side elevator hanger deck door. I want to show a Crusader being moved out on the elevator in its down position.  Its very visible, as its on the outside side of the hull.  Lots of detail given with PE, etc.  I will show most detail on deck and will have to purchase PE detail upscale kits to render tugs, etc. Also will need to purchse additional aircraft kits to boost my inventory to show. Its going to be a nice model and I'm thinking its gonna build quicker than I thought, until eye surgery slows me down a bit.  Cheers for Christmas holidays to all.  Dennis ;)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 04:43:40 am »

more.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »

Visited the ship 3 years ago, as she is a floating aviation museum in New York, along with a submarine and a Concorde on the dock alongside. Worth a visit if you go to NYC.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:18:14 pm »

Thankyou, I have heard she is a good museum to visit. We won't have that opportunity unfortunately.  I'm proceeding with detail along both sides of the hanger deck, outside.  Again , casting is amazing for detail and with the added plastic and PE details I'm placing, its looking very real.  Including the esculator housing on the port side.  The USS Ranger CVA-61 I was station aboard in the 60's had one of those, although, I'm not certain the housing was on the outside of the ship.  Just an interesting detail is all.  I'm debating if I should spring for the high cost of the Upscale kit that is available with a ton of PE sheets to add even more detail.  It appears the PE provided in this kit might just be adequate and I can still get some nice detail.  Especially the bottom sides of both side elevators is amazing in PE detail.  Pictures soon when I begin that part.  So far, a fun build, highly recommended for those inclined.  Regards, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 05:19:11 am »

On to elevator supports in PE.  Like working with jewlery... pretty amazing stuff. This one is complete, one more to do.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 04:07:21 am »

Moving along.  Flight deck is just about done with paint.  Port and STBD elevators are painted, decals on and both are installed on the hull. They are both in the down position to have aircraft either coming or going up or down.  The forward elevator is installed on its frame, which will be mounted to the underside of the flight deck.  Decals were tricky at best.  I had to cut them into short pieces in order to manage the wet slide.  I think they look good enough.  Next will be the flight deck border trim and then mount the forward elevator and then glue the deck to the hull. Dry fit is very nice compared to the other decks I've had to install.  A bit of a waste to not see the hanger deck much.  I can see why the model company did not detail it.  But, since the flight deck is one solid section, it could be made to be removed to view hanger deck details if one wanted.  I look at it this way, if the model is encased, it would be a bit of a hassle opening it just to remove the flight deck to say...."see"....  most folks just stare and get overwhelmed with all the detail and don't say much.. its funny really.  You folks are really the only people who do appreciate what goes into making one of these things.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 04:07:47 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 04:08:10 am »

more.

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:10 am »

Wow the detail on the elevator is superb!  :-)) :-)) 

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 09:58:10 pm »

Repeat:WOW:Repeat
And here I thought it was all just cut and paste Dennis.... :embarrassed:

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 08:12:12 pm »

Hahah... no, its real....  ok, here is another example of the wonderful detail in this kit. The pictures show the hull turned upside down to do the next phase of work required on the model. The focus now is on the support gussets for the antenna that are located around the perimeter of the flight deck.  I'm quite sensitive to these antenna as it was one of my responsiblities on board the USS Ranger CVA-61 to lower and raise those antenna (at least the ones assigned to me) during and after flight ops.  These on the Intrepid are very much like the ones I messed with on the Ranger.  The antenna will be shown in the raise position, as lowering them would require having to cut the platform and gluing it in the down position.  I've considered it, but with what will be going on on the flight deck on my model, flight ops will not be happening with the exception of one of the choppers spinning up to take off.  Great fun!  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 08:12:41 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 04:02:32 am »

All decals are now on the Flight Deck.  Most diffiuclt task for me to date.  Forced to cut the decals down to managable lengths.  Time in water is critical.. wrong amount in, and the decals will crack and fall apart.  Achieving alignment was very difficult and looking at the end product, it looks like a had a few too many!  Hopefully it will look better after the island is built and in and aircraft are mounted.  Very challenging for this old guy.  I still think the kit itself is amazing.  Cheers  ok2  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 04:02:58 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:09 pm »

You say the kit is amazing Dennis and you are certainly doing justice to it  :-)) Any of those elevator frames could have gone wonky, but they are straight and true.

You are doing a lovely job and I reckon the kit is detailed enough not to need any upgrades. Are you going to add a little crew figure in the antennae control position? Perhaps a sailor in the same role as your goodself?? A wee Dennis  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 06:14:48 pm »

hahaha.. :}  I hadn't thought of that, but I could do it.  As for crew, yes... I'm going to get one of those painted 3D figure sets at scale to populate the carrier.  I ordered 10 additonal A-4 jets to place on deck and will order more A-1 Skyraiders with wings folded, also on deck.  Plus, a selection of tug tractors and mobile crane.  You are correct, there is sufficient PE in the kit to add detail.  I am however using up leftover PE railings to add that to the model.  The railings supplied are minimal in the kit.  All antenna are in place now, as is all railing.  I'm finishing the painting on that now.  Next will be a few guns, a crane and some kind of monster antenna, not sure its purpose yet.  Then I start the island build, a full kit in itself, highly detailed.. blows my mind %% . Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 01:18:25 am »

Been busy with Island construction.  A mini kit into itself, tons of parts and loaded with detail.  Pic. just does not show how much has already gone into this thing.. amazing casting and lots of PE.  Painting along the way.  Major portion of antenna work is yet to come.  Technology very advanced with the Intrepid as she appeared in the late 60's, early 70's.  Anxious  to begin work on aircraft, I have ordered 20 more airplanes to crowd the flight deck.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 01:18:54 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 01:19:22 am »

more.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.