Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Intrepid CV-11 Essex Class Carrier  (Read 10236 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Intrepid CV-11 Essex Class Carrier
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 04:39:12 pm »

My builds are all static.  I keep telling myself that I will venture into RC at some point.  I chose 1/350 scale for mainly, the small footprint.  With aircraft carriers, you tend to run out of space quickly, especially if you case them, which I do.  My Maritime Museum, as my wife calls it is cases of ship models stacked everywhere. My friends sure enjoy taking the tour.  I don't know how this scale would lend itself to sailing, as it is so small.  For the detailer, their are many cottage industries out there now who support the bigger kit manufacturers in getting out fine detail in PE or resin cast.  Seems to be no limit.  You can even fit out the aircraft cockpit if you have a mind to.  Best of luck sir and enjoy this great hobby.  (I'm currently building a wood and fabric Spitfire at 3/4"=1' scale).  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 09:07:03 pm »

That was quick, but you said the kit was really good so you had less to rebuild/scratch detail than with earlier builds. But that doesn't mean Intrepid is any less impressive!

It just struck me that if you were doing that level of work with dodgy eyes, imagine what work you will be doing post surgery! Is the canopy in one of the images for a Crusader!!!!!! Do pop some pictures up of your Spit when done Dennis, we'll see you on the other side and look forward to what you may build next.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 01:46:44 am »

Thank you... yes, Crusader is correct.  This kit was less complex, but better manufactured pieces, so less time to build.  Truly, I'm not completely finished.  I ordered a "Tilly Crane" and want to add more deck tugs and 3D sailors on deck.  Yes, I'll post a finish of the Spit.  It floats, so I think I can get away posting on this site. :}  Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 02:50:44 pm »

Awesome work Dennis, as usual.  I always look forward to the latest report on your current build.

I hope the Spitfire goes well.  Best wishes for your eye surgery  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 07:55:13 pm »

Ok, here is the "Tilly Crash Crane".  3D producted to scale by Shapeways. Wild detail, looks like a bug, but is authentic for the time period on that ship.  Heavy lifter.  Oh, sorry, I snuck in a pic of my Spitfire under construction... hope you don't mind.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 07:55:41 pm »

Spitfire

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:42 am »

I know its not a carrier, but I'm almost done and will be moving on to my next project, plank on bulkhead model of the Mayflower on commission.  More later.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2019, 08:48:08 pm »

It is relevant because Seafires (conversion of the land based fighter/interceptor etc etc ) were used on RN Carriers. The TCC and Spit look great!
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »

You are correct sir and I had forgotten that fine point.  I have always loved the lines of the Spitfires, one of the most beautifully designed aircraft of all time.  Now I will have one hanging from my ceiling soon.  Cheers,  Dennis

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2019, 10:36:27 pm »

Very relevant for today... 83 years ago the Type 300 took to the air for the first time, later to be called Spitfire, which according to her chief designer ‘that’s the sort of stupid name they would choose!’.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 10:29:58 pm »

It is interesting to compare the traditionally built Hurricane with fabric and wood elements to the all metal Spitfire. Both beautiful, both versatile, both appreciated at the time, and both icons.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 10:52:32 pm »

I watched a recent made documentary on the Spitfire... beautiful filming.  Interestingly, they said the eliptical wing was originally of German design.. never knew that.  The Spitfire was originally a racing aircraft back in the 30's and evolved from there.  Similar to the US P-51, as designs matured, they got stronger and faster.  I think I'm correct in remembering that the Mk with clipped wing tips topped at over 450 mph!   Fantastic!  Love that aircraft.  Dennis

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:01 pm »

From memory of watching a program a couple of days ago, the type 7 (could be a later model) had several wing types - a,b,c etc and the wing was used for different characteristics, i.e. the clipped wings for low level operations, the super-marine float plane was the forerunner in the Schneider trophy races - there was a film with David Niven as the test pilot. 
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 12:19:48 pm »

I watched a recent made documentary on the Spitfire... beautiful filming.  Interestingly, they said the eliptical wing was originally of German design.. never knew that.

The documentary must have got a few things mixed up, the Spitfire wing designer (Beverley Shenstone) worked with Professor Lippisch (a German aerodynamicist) on wing design in the late 1920s and early 1930s. There similarities between certain designs but the Spitfire wing was actually a double elliptiod with washout. All other designs were actually pure elliptical but it was the twist in the wing that made it so special. The Spitfire wing actually shares a lot of features of the delta wing (of which Shenstone and Lippisch both worked on together) and the Concorde and Eurofighter Typhoon have the same twist in the wing.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 06:06:46 pm »

Well sir, you are over my head in aerodynamic design.  I believe the documentary was British made, so I just assumed they were giving accuract truth.  As they told it, a British design engineer in the late 30's was working for a German aircraft manufacturer and worked along side a German designer who penciled out the wing as an eliptical shape.  As war loomed, this British designer left Germany and went to work for the company in Britian which built the Spitfire and presented this rough sketch to the design team at that company.  Refinements were made and the Spitfire wing was born.  They made the statement that the wing was of German origin. Either way, a truly fitting outcome, as that aircraft was key in winning the battle over Britian.  I will be proud to have a model of it hanging here in my shop.  Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2019, 06:44:49 pm »

Spitfire is finished.  P-51 coming in the mail today...  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2019, 06:45:31 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2019, 06:46:00 pm »

more.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2019, 08:50:24 pm »

Very nice job Dennis, but I am confused. how are you going to fir the Spit onto the Intrepid?  %%

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2019, 01:10:23 am »

Simple, its all a matter of perspective.  The Intrepid is laying off about 3 miles distant and the Spitfire is making her approach leg... if she can just get by that PT-17 on her nose. {-)   Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.