Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Victory  (Read 6894 times)

Micifix

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Victory
« on: December 21, 2018, 02:34:26 pm »

Hi very very new to model boats in the far past I have done plastic kits but now big challenges I have had a part build victory 1.100 scale passed on to me.It has with it two binders looking through these and the build it could be some rigging missing mm. Also it has the cannons missing,some questions how do you thread the block and tackles is it possible to purchase some cannons.oooo and why the quiz to post things.

Micifix

• Shipmate
Victory 2
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:47:03 pm »

Hope this works give you ideas on what I am trying to Finnish off

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Victory 2
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:50:23 pm »

That looks very nice :-))
Now the hard part, Rigging :embarrassed:
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:00:41 pm »

I am sorry to have to say this, but you have a big project on your hands to make that look anything like HMS Victory, at any stage of her life. The model does not look to have been built to a very high standard and the historical accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Have a look at how Victory looks today and you will see what I mean.
Lots of help available here if you want to get a decent model out of it. Stick with it and learn as you go. When finished you could have a model to be proud of.

Micifix

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:28:47 pm »

Well thanks for the warm welcome as,I said not done anything like this I thought it looked a decent build,
Anyway back to my questions how would I be able to thread the block and tackles is there a method or tool to help
Please. Also what is the verification bit about?

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:50:03 pm »

Well thanks for the warm welcome as,I said not done anything like this I thought it looked a decent build,
Anyway back to my questions how would I be able to thread the block and tackles is there a method or tool to help
Please. Also what is the verification bit about?
I am sorry if I offended you, but I am not going to lie. If you have never tackled anything like this, then I would strongly advise against doing it, if you want a decent result at the end. Threading the blocks is the least of your problems with this model. I shall gracefully bow out and leave it to others to try to help you in a positive way..

Micifix

• Shipmate
Block and tackle
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 05:53:43 pm »

How do you go about putting thread into one its off a 1.100 scale

Micifix

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 06:00:25 pm »

Not really offended just thought a little more of a gentle answer like you had seen better examples only came across
This as a result of some passing away,and I will state without seeing other examples in my opinion it seems a good model sail well mate and thanks

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Block and tackle
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 06:39:45 pm »

A drop of cheap superglue on the end of a thread turns it into a disposable needle about the same diameter as the thread.  A clip=on magnifier on the specs helps a lot as well.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 06:45:15 pm »

Footski is right in that you are tackling a very complex job indeed in rigging Victory which has defeated a lot of experienced modellers.

Before starting anything I would recommend that you do some research on the masting and rigging of ships of the period. There is lots of online information. This video gives a flavour of what is involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7X76wsG9Oo

There are also books available on HMS Victory which would help.

That is a very big model you have and to do a proper job there are really no short cuts when it comes to tying knots.
Chatham dockyard have a large model of Victory although I don't know if it is still on display:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hms+victory+model+chatham+dockyard&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oFlkWbSOHMNtTM%253A%252C5I50oAypz4ZSAM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kR8O8VJGjgE-Qkg5b6lIrexPHqbLg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHyJmWyLHfAhVVSBUIHaewBpsQ9QEwDnoECAQQBA#imgrc=oFlkWbSOHMNtTM:

To do a proper job you ned to develop an understanding of how the standing and running rigging of a ship of the line was set up and worked. In itself it is a fascinating subject but without it you will not be able to properly rig your model.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 06:53:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you know it's not going to be easy. The subject of research etc. certainly comes well into it and there are loads of techniques and tricks you could learn and use BUT I reckon your biggest problem is going to be simple boredom.
Rigging any period sailing ship is rather like watching paint dry. Hundreds if not thousands of fiddly bits and no obvious change for possibly weeks.So you need to be ready for the long haul!
If you do decide to take it on then very good luck to you!
 :-))

Micifix

• Shipmate
Re: Victory
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 07:48:44 pm »

Right lots of checking as I said some rigging done not sure I have the right amount of blocks its same with cannons
Some on deck but no others, looking at the advice I will ponder and check but it could be accepted as is will be in touch.Thank you all even to Footski

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 09:37:48 pm »

This might be of some help http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_12.htm also if you are missing any parts they can help as they make the kit.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 09:55:03 pm »

How do you go about putting thread into one its off a 1.100 scale

Use a length of fine copper wire. Bring the ends together, so forming a loop. Push the loop through the hole, insert the thread through the loop, pull the loop back through and the thread will come with it - works for me.... ;)

Regards,

Ray.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 12:09:37 am »

this is the sort of model of victory that makes people stand up and take notice of......beautiful, and accurate

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 06:52:41 am »

I wont lie and say it will be easy, but go for it, nobody ever achieved anything by not trying,.
My uncle has done an hms victory, the rigging took him nearly two years, then he spotted a mistake and took it off and redid it.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Block and tackle
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 07:53:38 am »

A drop of cheap superglue on the end of a thread turns it into a disposable needle about the same diameter as the thread.  A clip=on magnifier on the specs helps a lot as well.

Yes. If you then cut the thread with a very sharp knife/scalpel at a very sharp angle (20-30 degrees) this will further help threading.
For pulling through and tying knots I found locking forceps really useful. Straight or curved nose. I got one of each.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modelcraft-Locking-Forceps-Curved-Pack/dp/B002TMJYDG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545464934&sr=8-4&keywords=locking+forceps
This set of them looks good value.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proops-Locking-Forceps-Straight-Forceps/dp/B01HTE7X86/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545464934&sr=8-3&keywords=locking+forceps
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 07:58:38 am »

Get a hold of a sewing needle threader, the fine wire passes through the block, pass your cord through the loop and pull back through - just like threading a sewing needle.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 08:05:09 am »

Right lots of checking as I said some rigging done not sure I have the right amount of blocks its same with cannons
Some on deck but no others, looking at the advice I will ponder and check but it could be accepted as is will be in touch.Thank you all even to Footski
That made me smile :-) . I wish you all the best.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 08:38:09 am »

The main point to remember is that you are building it for your pleasure, if you complete it and are happy with it then nobody else's view matters.

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 09:56:29 am »

I am surprised that no-one has already suggested this but I would strongly advise that you visit the real ship.  Make a holiday or a couple of days of it.  Take lots and lots of photographs around the Victory and visit the museum shop at Portsmouth Historical Dockyard at the same time.  There you will find some of the best books on the ship ever published as well as there used to be a set of three superb plans of the ship.  These plans include construction and one solely dedicated to the rigging.  It is worth buying one of these as a working drawing to scribble on and, in particular crossing off lines one by one as you fit them to the model.  It will also assist you in planning the rigging process so you can start in the centre of the vessel and work outwards, which will make life significantly easier.  I did buy mine around 20 years ago so I hope they still do them.

The warnings mentioned earlier are justified, this is a mammoth task however good research and a careful methodical approach will give you the best chance.  This could well take you a number of years but the reward of bringing a model to life will be worth it, especially if it is in memory of someone who has left it to you.  You might even want to consider giving the model a good clean up and repaint before starting on the rigging, which should be the last task you do.

Most of all don't be afraid of asking questions nor of some of the answers if they are not what you were hoping to hear.  There is a wealth of experience on here, members such as Footski have a lifetime of modelling behind them available to you, and don't be intimidated by pictures of completed beautifully built models of the ship.  The builders of those also had many challenges and many years of work had to be put into them.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 10:12:33 am »

Victory herself is only partially rigged at the moment whilst undergoing restoration.Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 11:21:20 pm »

Well it depends whether the OP is aiming for a 'museum' standard model or a stand off scale he'll be happy with imho. Many non modellers will not give two figs about exact scale look and whoever said building a scale model was not hard work?
At some small scales, fidelity has to be sacrificed, its as simple as that so some rigging is either left off or improvised. Magnifying glass, steady hands and bags of patience are a great help. Depending how you approach things, it may be better making up some rigging off the model then transposing it onto it.If you dont have enough cannons, maybe close some gun ports? I think finding 100 scale replicas to match those you have will be pretty tough. Alternatively, you may want to cast some in resin using one you have to make a mould?

Micifix

• Shipmate
Victory part 3
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »

Must be someone out there gone there done that and the rest, but looking at this model one side looks not painted which I thought was varnish. Big not looking at other side what can I say I will put it if you got a brush of paint and tarred it on..

Micifix

• Shipmate
What to do (victory)
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 07:44:09 pm »

The erm paint side not good the other side not painted looks passable not sure of the colour used or how long ago
It was done. Questions should I try getting paint off or paint other side or use as a long boat set fire to it as it goes down river ?? Not at all happy the cannons on amazon over £1 each I need all of them I have no templates for sails.
Answers  any ????
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.